When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's the consensus on Asian copies of ETA movements?

teddy boy

I agree with FxrAndy...I've never had an issue with them and many of them arrive in better condition than the surplus (and occasionally very dirty) ETA movements they are based off of.

Thanks for the replies. I suspected that was the case but wanted some verification. My greatest fear is paying Swiss ETA prices and getting Asican copy movements so I heard the "honest sale"

comment.

...and as other threads have noted, you can always replace with a brand new ETA in bubble wrap with minimal effort as the case size, stem posititioning, hand sizes, etc will all be compatible. A sourced gen ETA movement from many of the better dealers can be had brand new and serviced properly in the factory bubble wrap for slightly more than the servicing of the rep movement...and will have absolute compatibility with gen parts, vs the potentially shoddy, dirty, refurbished and/or surplus eta movements that are put in when you pay for a gen swiss eta.

I started a similar thread quite a few months ago across all the forums but they got very little response. I think it was because at the time people had very little experience of them, but now more and more watches are being made powered by these.

It's good to know that these movements have (mostly) good feedback from owners. I myself own a watch with one, and have yet to experience any issues. I think the one question we're all dying to know is can these be fully serviced, and if so, can they be expected to last as long as their gen counterparts after servicing. I recall The Zigmeister saying he had some issues with these movements after servicing a few, something to do with difficulty in regulating them. I think this is why he doesn't service them? I could be wrong, but I would like to know.