When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2836-2 for Sub

bertieng

Am I correct that it is better to have a higher pinion and hour wheel to give a good clearance between the hands and the dial considering the dial is sitting higher with the dw overlay in place?

If yes, what should be the right parts? ETA has the choices of :

Cannon Pinion 1.8, 2.45, 2.95mm

Hour Wheel 1.76, 2.0, 2.26mm

Can the Sub experts chim in for some advices.

Thanks in advance.

I have never had to modify or change any of the parts in the ETA that came in a rep watch to fit another overlay. Simply remove the existing overlay (that comes with nearly every decent Rolex rep) & glue on the replacement, if that is what you are doing (swapping overlays).

What I am thinking is actually modding the ETA comes with the rep. It always seems to me the cannon pinion and hour wheel is too short to give good clearnce between the hands and the dial. The spacer actually has to be made sitting higher to give a free turning of the dw with the overlay added, the overall thickness is bigger than the standard ETA dw alone.

These taller pinions are actually available at Cousins.

Any more advices please?

Keep in mind, that adding a spacer between the dial and movement will throw your stem out of alignment with the case.

Stock 2836-2 are fine with the HW/CP as is. I've never had to change one. It is when you get to 2824-2 and 2892-A2, that the parts need changing.

If you are having overlay issues and need the clearance, opt for a 2824-2. It is thinner on the top end vs a 2836-2. This will give you all the clearance you need with out throwing your stem out of alignment. You just need a spacer that is 0.40mm thick. That is the difference between the 2824 and 2836. Then you will need to go to the 1.76mm HW. I can't remember off the top of my head the CP.

hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Stilty.

If I go for the 2824, does it mean it has the 0.4mm spacer? Or I need to use the one comes with the 2836?

Does it make sense if the 1.76mm HW is used, it pairs up with the 2.45mm CP, or the 2.95 should be the better option?

Cheers.