When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blackbird date malfunction

djdeez78

Hello guys and gals, it's been a pleasure learning tons and tons of info from you guys. Very much appreciated.

I bought a Blackbird from one of the trusted sellers. Received it yesterday and was totally satisfied. But when I went to change the date it all went downhill from there.

The date wheel jumped initially like it should have when adjusting it directly, then around 13, 14, 15 the the second number (3,4,5) wouldn't quite line up. While all the other numbers seems to jump into place, these kindof rolled into place. I tried a couple times to get the second number lined up or centered as best as possible, but failed. After a couple revolutions through 31 it got really weird. The numbers would jump all over the place. It would go from 02 to 07 normally, then jump to 17,18, 19 then back to 10, then jump to 21 thru 29, 20, 21, then jump to 32 thru 39....????....

I contacted the dealer and was told to send it back, get it fixed at the factory, and sent back. Approximately 1 month or so. How do they expect me to wait that long after having it in my possession and seeing how nice it looks?!?!?! But after reading some good and bad stories about sending watches back to China, I'm a bit hesitant. My dealer said they would eat 1/2 of the cost if it were to not make it back past customs.

My question is, has anyone seen how the big date complication works for this and I assume the Bentley 6.75? I read in another thread that being it's relatively new, sending it back would be the only way to do it. Does it seem like a tough fix where I "need" to send it back? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

that i have not. i just have a feeling that, being the newbie, it wouldn't be a priority for some of the modders that seem to be hammered by all the vets and other newbs with questions and service. i wanted to put it out here and see if other's might be able to chime in. hopefully someone will have a definitive answer, and if not, i could reach out to one of the modders. thanks for the reply tho!!

I contacted the dealer and was told to send it back, get it fixed at the factory, and sent back. Approximately 1 month or so. How do they expect me to wait that long after having it in my possession and seeing how nice it looks?!?!?! But after reading some good and bad stories about sending watches back to China, I'm a bit hesitant. My dealer said they would eat 1/2 of the cost if it were to not make it back past customs.

Welcome to the rep world. These types of things are part of your battle scars that you have to live through. I would send it back. Anybody who has spent anytime here buying reps has had to do this.

It is likely a quick fix that any watchmaker can do...but if you don't have access to one locally...what are your options?

From my experience with the blackbird, with 2 i had with both problems with date and also various people on this board, I can surely say that the date is a weak point of the Blackbird.

it is easy to fix but needs to have the hands and dial removed. by a watch smith. you could send it back to the dealer, but remember you will have away for around 2 months if needed to send back to china. And not talking about the risk of loosing a parcel in chinese post or customs.

if you save the shipping and spend it on a good watch smith locally, thats what i would do first before sending it back to China.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the insight. I did want to take it in and have it looked at before sending it off. I've been calling a number of watchsmiths in LA and have no luck with anyone wanting to touch a rep. I did have some fella look at it and said I needed to take the whole movement apart and fix a "spring." He said it would cost around 300-400 bucks depending on what parts they might need to order. For that much money, which is about the cost of the rep, I would rather wait months for Watchdog to free up some time as I would know I have a great serviced watch.

Now the tricky part, a lot of people said it should be an "easy" fix. Does anyone have any pics of the big date complication. I thought I read it was a bridged jeweled addition to the top plate but haven't seen any pics to show. If I could get some pics or a diagram I think I would feel more comfortable taking that in to a shop or even doing it myself. Hmm..........