When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Metta Catherina Leather Straps

Finepics

No doubt you have all seen V 's and my Metta Catherina PAM straps and some have been asking where to get them so read on folks.

98895-26677.jpg

98895-26678.jpg

First let me fill you in on why this leather is so special. Back in 1786 a Danish ship, the Metta Catherina, sank in a storm with it's cargo of Russian reindeer tanned hides. Then in 1973 the ship was salvaged and to everyones suprise the cargo was in perfect condition - so this stuff is currently about 220 years old and 190 years of that spent at the bottom of the sea. So it is rare and its unique properties make it ideal for a strap (and furniture) as it is waterproof and will not rot (the reason it survived).

It comes with a diamond check patterning (this was the Russian tanners trademark finish) and in a wealth of colours from golden tan to almost black which is a sort of very dark brown but looks black in certain lighting (a bit like PVD looks black but is purple!!). Here is a photo of some random samples but there are many more shades in between (it all depended where in the pile they were in the water).

98895-26679.jpg

Now the chap that has this leather is selling complete straps on ebay - his user name there is vfrmad - and previously they have gone for around £130+ but he is in the process of making a small stock of them priced at £125 ready to buy. They will come in set sizes of 24/22, 24/24 and 26/26 in wrist sizes of 110/60, 115/75 and 125/80. They will be like the ones in the above photos - a rich mid brown (this will vary from strap to strap - the black version will be a special order) with matching stitch but other stitch colours and sizes are available on request for a small extra fee. They come in a nice presentation box with certificates of authenticity and a pot of treatment wax - well worth the money. The case guards as shown above are £50. Whilst they are not the cheapest of straps they are totally unique and beautifully hand made.

Now I have to stress that he will not be supplying the leather only (V and me were an absolute exception) so please don't send him emails asking for it - he absolutely will not do it.

Who is this man - his name is Rob Ross, his email address is robertross04@aol.com and his website where you can see his other work and read more about this leather is here. If emailing him use the address above as the link on his site is out of date. Have a good look round his site, it's very interesting:

http://www.1786russianleather.co.uk/index.html

He is a thoroughly nice chap and the quality of his workmanship is of the highest standard. If you buy a strap don't forget about all the different colour variations - he will talk you through it. This leather is in a very limited quantity now as most of it has been used for very large bits of furniture and furnishings over the years - Roman Abramovich (any Chelsea fans out there) has some tables covered in this stuff and Purdey shotgun case are covered in it - Rob makes all of this.

My thanks to Aaron, also of the highest standards, who made the straps for me and V.

Thanks for that finepics! I never saw your Metta strap...

I think I'll have to get one or two for my new founded interest in davidsen PVDs and maybe my 127!!!

Color choices will be difficult cuz you can't buy many of these on a tightened watch budget!

Thanks for that finepics! I never saw your Metta strap...

I think I'll have to get one or two for my new founded interest in davidsen PVDs and maybe my 127!!!

Color choices will be difficult cuz you can't buy many of these on a tightened watch budget!

Well I havn't actually got them back yet - Aaron just finished them this weekend. He has posted pics of them elsewhere here so I doubt he will mind if I post them here: The lower one is a 26/26 - top one is 24/24.

99002-26668.jpg

99002-26669.jpg

Unusual... sure. Of historical interest... perhaps. Hardwearing and waterproof... probably.

But I really hate that diamond pattern. So ugly.

Each to his own - but I wouldn't have a strap made of this stuff as a gift.

[/quote

Hi, As the maker of these straps I thought I'd throw in my 10 pennies worth! at the last post, I'm sorry you find the 'diamond pattern' objectionable or 'ugly' I can also find numerous people who say the same, or worse about Panerai watches! Beauty in the eye of, and all that I suppose. However many more people see great beauty in this leather, it varies enormously and has great character, unlike any modern leathers. Every hide I've had has been different, each with it's own colour, texture and grain. Also unlike modern leather the Russia leather went through a complicated process which took around 18-24months to complete. And dont forget with one of these on your wrist, your own something which was on the High Seas at the same time as HMS Victory and Nelson. So if it's just the diamond pattern that offends you, dont worry, because if you take a close look at the photo of samples, you should see that it doesn't all have it, some of it just has it's own beautiful natural grain, there is more than enough variety in this leather to suit anyone, almost!

All The Best

Rob

I had a metta strap last year, it was a nice strap, but not as nicely made as the ones pictured above, and it didn't have the checkered pattern.

The smell of this leather is amazing! Very strong some here may not like that (lol), but I thought it was wonderful... Sort of equates to the smell of a great cigar, but different.

I will definitely get a few of these, but would want to have Aaron make it for me because I have a buckle comning to sew it in.

These straps would look great on a PreV/PreA PVD watch!!!

I really, really like these, but they're way out of my price range.

... and then I see that there are 6"x4" pieces available for 25 quid. I wonder if that's enough for a strap ...

Hi, just a quick reply regarding the 6x4 pieces, I'm afraid that info on the site is way out of date, as is the site, I am having a new one made now, and as Mark mentioned in his Introduction piece, I no longer sell the leather.

Rob

I had a metta strap last year, it was a nice strap, but not as nicely made as the ones pictured above, and it didn't have the checkered pattern.

The smell of this leather is amazing! Very strong some here may not like that (lol), but I thought it was wonderful... Sort of equates to the smell of a great cigar, but different.

I will definitely get a few of these, but would want to have Aaron make it for me because I have a buckle comning to sew it in.

These straps would look great on a PreV/PreA PVD watch!!!

Hi, That's no problem, I can make a strap for you using your own Buckle. Drop me an email and we can talk.

Rob

@Rob... my apologies, I didn't mean to be offensive, just expressing an opinion. I don't like the diamond pattern - in my view the natural grain of leather needs no enhancement.

I understood that all this leather had this pattern - I am pleased to hear that I was mistaken.

From the photos I can see that the craftmanship is excellent... and so perhaps I will consider buying one - without the diamond pattern, of course.