When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What will i do.. oversized out

dan156

I find myself in a bad place, i am a victim of the big watch craze

in the last year i have got a bently 6.75, oris coste, upo 45.5mm and uboat 50mm ,

Now i cant even look at a normal size watch <45mm

i am 6 foot 5 even my tag at 42mm looks small my old 42mm po looks like a micke mouse watch

What can i do, I need to see a professional for help LOL ,

With the trend to go back to smaller sizes and the grade of the rep hitting the market going up, I have a need to buy more watches but what one,

I got used to the big sizes (even loved it) But it has turned me away from my love ,

am i the only one , is there a place i can go to , get this oversize addicaton out of my head :D ,

do i go gold turkey or slowly come down in sizes ...

The things a man has to do to have his addication

to many watches and so little hands

Yes that would be good , but as a good citizen , we must spend to help the econmy to grow and if i give you them, how are we to recover from the credit crisis, so People spend spend and spend, And factors start building perfect reps...... so we can spend ;)

i think i might have to start coming down in size , very slowly, maybe start with the ebel 1911 BTR , some more fun times doing my research on this fine looking watch, Any news on the new a7750 movement eith the tighter spacing...

Edited by dan156

Maybe this will help soothe the pain, or maybe not:

From Forbes Magazine:

New Watchwords: Simple and dressy are back in style

Pendulums have a way of swinging. It wasn't long ago that watches were going for baroque, in style and size, and brand prestige was a mirror for personal prestige. Watches were bonus babies and salary semaphores: To paraphrase the Duchess of Windsor, they couldn't be too rich and they shouldn't be too thin.

Time has changed. Big watches, whether time-only or complicated, are starting to look like Elizabethan ruff collars in terms of contemporary taste. Now the watchword is, "If you've still got it, don't flaunt it."

In watches, this means consumers and companies are tacking away from the oversized and the overstated. It's ironic, given who got us into the current economic morass, but this heralds the return of the "banker's watch." The term denotes a dressy, extra-flat, round wristwatch with a minimalist dial--sometimes even lacking a sweep seconds hand. The artistry of the extra-flat dress watch is like that of the sonnet--expressive within (and because of) the constraints of a narrowly defined form--and its Gary Cooper visage is shorthand for stability, security, and reliability. Classic examples are the Patek Philippe Calatrava and Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine.

For all its seeming simplicity, the extra-flat dress watch is a complex being, starting with the watchmaking itself. Getting a thick, heavily built mechanism to run accurately is relatively easy; getting comparable performance out of a mechanism that's no thicker than a couple of business cards is not. That's why new watch brands generally don't offer extra-flat watches. In fact, it's venerability that marks the two names that are most synonymous with extra-flat construction, Jaeger-LeCoultre and Piaget.

Their flattest movements are whisker thin. Jaeger's Master Ultra Thin, the thinnest watch it currently makes, has a case 4.2 millimeters thick and a movement 1.85 millimeters thick, yet the watch contains 123 components and can run for 35 hours, accurately, on a single mainspring winding. Piaget's manual-wind Altiplano contains its caliber 430P movement, which comes in at 2.1 millimeters. Both watches slide under a French cuff like a cat slipping noiselessly past a barely open door.

Which is important at a time when looking like a banker is also in comeback mode. According to Alan Flusser, author of Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion, "a classically fitted shirt cuff is tailored to fit the wrist, and should not change its position when the arm changes position." By gripping your wrist, the cuff maintains the line of the arm and is thus best suited for a flat dress watch. (Unless you have the sprezzatura of former Fiat ( FIA - news - people ) chairman Gianni Agnelli, who wore a heavy braceleted sports watch on the outside of his cuff.) "The dressier you get, the thinner the watch," says Flusser, who adds that with French cuffs you have a bit more room for a watch if you wear chain links rather than whaleback closures or ball returns. (He also has a bone to pick with thick watches: They will quickly fray a shirt cuff.)

Ralph Lauren ( RL - news - people )'s new Slim Classique collection is as lovely a gathering of extra-flat dress watches as ever peeked out from under a French cuff. Although a newcomer to the haute horlogerie game, Lauren knew where to go for movements: Piaget and Jaeger-LeCoultre (via his friend Johann Rupert, chairman of Richemont). He matched them with cases and dials engraved using one of the few surviving rose engines, a machine that dates to the late 1890s. The swirling guilloche--the minute repetitive patterns on the dial created by craftsmen using the engine--strikes a lovely note of nostalgia.

Being complicated doesn't mean looking complicated. One of the first wristwatch perpetual calendars ever made, the Patek Philippe 1526, which ceased production in the early 1950s with only 210 made, showed the day, month, date, and moonphase, and kept track internally of the differing lengths of the months and the passage of leap years. In the spirit of making complicated look clean is the Patek 3939H minute repeater tourbillon--if it weren't for the repeater slide in the case band and the almost invisible "tourbillon" on the dial, you probably wouldn't take it for a complicated watch at all. It's the ultimate stealth complication timepiece.New watchwor

Actually 6f 5" is not big enough to complain about watches smaller than 45mm IMO. I am that tall as well and wear 36mm and 34mm watches (Rolex Explorer and sixties Omega Constellation) and it looks perfect.

Besides the PAMs everything above 42mm is way too oversized. Men's watches are an accessoir like jewelry for women: Women with too much jewelry look like a christmas tree.

yes true ,thats why i am looking at coming back down in size, had my fun with the big watches, it just take time to get your eyes and arm to look at the details not the size, so time to look around and have some fun,,,

look out dealers hear i come...

Bah, screw fashion ;)

I like chunky watches so will be looking for some used bargains now they're 'out of fashion'! :p

Totally agreed - I don't even look at watches <45mm anymore. Big watches are for me just that much more of a statement.

My Omega Seamaster James Bond hardly ever gets out.

Just ordered 2 more 45 mm chunky ones. Omega PO Chrono and Hublot Big Bang :))

Thomas

Totally agreed - I don't even look at watches <45mm anymore. Big watches are for me just that much more of a statement.

My Omega Seamaster James Bond hardly ever gets out.

Just ordered 2 more 45 mm chunky ones. Omega PO Chrono and Hublot Big Bang :))

Thomas

You need a WWII-era fleiger watch. 55mm of goodness. Or, just skip the intermediate steps and go for the gusto:

FlavorFlav_M_Tr_11064695_600.jpg