When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 7750 modified for SMP chrono. Good news for Speedmaster?

casanile

I know Andreww's on deck answering this one...but you and a large portion of the RWG community is eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Speedy with the new movement. I'm sure you've read Francisco's review of the tight spacing tricompax layout 7750 which shows it to be a pretty good design that should not have the reliability issues of the seconds at 6 modded a7750's used in other watches like the Daytona's and IWC Portos.

That being said...the movement is new. The only watch currently using it is the PO Chrono. In the pipe's and ready to be released is the Omega Constellation Mission Hill chrono in Ti. When they will start re-releasing watches that are already in a popular design (e.g. the "Lemania" Seagull powered manual Speedy Moon) in an auto version with the better subdial spacing is anybody's guess.

Who has the Constellation out? Josh still has it in "coming soon" mode (in other words...no price).

You're right. It's not 'out' in a way one can already purchase it, but pics are uploaded and price is comming. Appologies for the confusion might cause.

dammit. more watches to buy- when will it ever end-

There is a throbbing need for a new smiley, something like money floating away from a sobbing rep addict...

But a friend suggested a halloween costume that I am already planning for. A trenchcoat lined with watches, Only thing is, I probably couldn't stand up or walk.

You're right. It's not 'out' in a way one can already purchase it, but pics are uploaded and price is comming. Appologies for the confusion might cause.

Gotcha. Good to hear about the others. I'm surprised the Broad Arrow is being released before the Auto Moon watch.

dammit. more watches to buy- when will it ever end

:D :D :D

We are in the same boat, as a matter of fact a very crowded boat. :)

I only wish the factories launch a Moon Speedy without the auto module, the Lemania subdial spacing and the "slave" hour counter at 6 are a huge lay down to me.

The key for the moonwatch to be successful is to remove the autowinding module and have it handwind, like the gen. This would make the movement thinner, as well as eliminating the "7750 whir." Obviously the subdial spacing has been fixed.

Oh yeah, if there's no acrylic domed crystal they shouldn't even bother making it. I owned the gen, but needed some funds so it had to go. Hell, even if there is a good rep I might hold out for the legend.

The key for the moonwatch to be successful is to remove the autowinding module and have it handwind, like the gen. This would make the movement thinner, as well as eliminating the "7750 whir." Obviously the subdial spacing has been fixed.

Oh yeah, if there's no acrylic domed crystal they shouldn't even bother making it. I owned the gen, but needed some funds so it had to go. Hell, even if there is a good rep I might hold out for the legend.

In regards to the original Moonwatch Ruby's is and will be the best version available. They will rep the NEW 44mm Co-Axial Speedmaster with automatic movement and sapphire.

Omega-1.jpg

In regards to the original Moonwatch Ruby's is and will be the best version available. They will rep the NEW 44mm Co-Axial Speedmaster with automatic movement and sapphire.

Well, [censored]. 44mm Speedy is too big for me. Here they are, have the perfect opportunity to make the perfect Moon Watch rep, an undeniable classic, but they must rep the big 44mm one.

The subdial spacing of all the moon watch reps is garbage and an instant giveaway, imho.

Antomarty, did Andrew give some specs ? Auto ? Manual ? Sapphire ? Acrylic?

This is going to be a long wait until June :huh:

Confirmed by Andrew too... Auto 7750 modified definitely.... Certainly sapphire.

I'm interested by an accurate Speedy rep since I began to know the replica world.

Now I know it's coming, I'll wait again but with a big smile...

I don't know if I would want the manual wind one with an A7750 movement...even with the newer tight dial spacing layout. Have people forgotten the issues of handwinding movements that were meant for auto-winding??

The Seagull wrong-spaced movement is a workhorse intended for hand winding...but the A7750 was not.

Read this thread for more info: Watchdog's Why Handwinding is Bad

The article points out handwinding in general is bad...less bad on a newly serviced movement, done at a slow speed...but still bad.

If you mod the movement to make it seem "more authentic" by removing the rotor and auto-winding assembly...you'll just end up with a watch that needs regular replacements and more intensive cleaning.

I don't know if I would want the manual wind one with an A7750 movement...even with the newer tight dial spacing layout. Have people forgotten the issues of handwinding movements that were meant for auto-winding??

The Seagull wrong-spaced movement is a workhorse intended for handinwinding...but the A7750 was not.

Read this thread for more info: Watchdog's Why Handwinding is Bad

The article points out handwinding in general is bad...less bad on a newly serviced movement, done at a slow speed...but still bad.

If you mod the movement to make it seem "more authentic" by removing the rotor and auto-winding assembly...you'll just end up with a watch that needs regular replacements and more intensive cleaning.

Thanks for the thread, I didn't know that...

Very informative indeed. I will be very gentle with my crowns...

Sorry to ask, my english is a little rust, but are you saying that the A7750 modified will come (modified again) on the speedies in order to become handwinding?

If this is right, I agree with you. I won't buy a rep moonwatch (Caliber Omega 1861)

manual-winding 3570.50.00 with that configuration and prefer the one which is sold now.

But in this case, with this new movement, I'm interested in a Rep (Caliber Omega 3603, 3612, 3313)

Self-winding chronograph.

Edited by antomarty

The Seagull wrong-spaced movement is a workhorse intended for handinwinding...but the A7750 was not.

Good point.

Ok, I would be mare than happy with the mod A7750 auto, but with the dial of the manual Moon Speedy. Anyway nobody )other than me) it's going to know it. :p

Good point.

Ok, I would be mare than happy with the mod A7750 auto, but with the dial of the manual Moon Speedy. Anyway nobody )other than me) it's going to know it. :p

I agree but if they rep the coaxial, except for the date, we will not be far from the moonwatch.

Check this out:

post-8918-1241218768_thumb.jpg

Sorry to ask, my english is a little rust, but are you saying that the A7750 modified will come (modified again) on the speedies in order to become handwinding?

It's not your English...trust me...it's unconfirmed speculation in the rep world. Speedies are very desireable for collectors, but have been plagued with the improper subdial spacing. The trade off has been, with the manual wind "moon watch" variant, they paired improper spacing with a manual wind movement that is beautiful to look at with a display back, that also happens to be a solid, workhorse movement right out of the box. So...with being able to finally get closer (don't know if it's exact the same) subdial spacing, people don't like the idea of it being auto as the original Moonwatch was not auto.

Rep manufacturers will likely just do the sapphire "modern" Moon Watch" in auto instead of doing a mod on the movement to make it manual (removing the auto winding parts)...but some are hoping they'll mod the movement to make it manual as well as having the subdial spacing fix.

The pursuit of "accuracy" in this watch makes me laugh though.

Many don't like the display back as they say it is not "proper" for a Moon Watch and often try to copy the longest run version from the early '70's which has the solid back with the "Flight Qualified by NASA" inscription. To me...what difference does it make? Given the watch worn on the moon didn't have that caseback anyways...as they didn't release that caseback until AFTER the moon mission hence the engraving "The First Watch Worn on the Moon" (yes I know it's supposed to ball CAPS), to shoot for this commemorative series is not much different than shooting for the other series with the display back. But that's me.

So, if you're trying to achieve a rep that is more accurate to a Moon Watch...it should not have the solid caseback with the "FLIGHT QUALIFIED...etc" inscription either but something else...so why not just accept inaccuracies and go for the beauty of displaying that fantastic Seagull movement which looks close enough to me to a c. 321 movement?? Besides, many gen owners have done the conversion to their gens to display the movement...and Omega released display casebacks from around 1980 anyways.

...but I digress. B)B)

I see...

Thank you to share your knowledge about the speedy, it's a pleasure.

Under a crystal caseback, A seagull should be definitely for the eyes a better option than a mutilated 7750 ...

Your way of living this hobby is right and certainly purest than mine.

As they say in France: "Each person see noon at his door" my vision is a little bit different than yours about beauty or accuracy of a rep.

I mean, I can live with a wrong caseback even if it covers a beautiful movement as I can't see it when I wear it on my wrist.

But on the other hand, I really can't stand a wrong dial or a pearl off...

As I'm not enough found of wearing an historic manual moonwatch, I'd be very happy to wear a speedy auto a little more closer to a gen.

So if factories rep the last coaxial speedmaster as they did for the PO 45mm chrono, I take it.

That thing said, I totally agree with you for the 3570.50 moonwatch...

• 1 year later...