When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 27 Ss Or Pam 28 Ss/pvd Swiss Eta 2892 Power Reserve

ajoesmith

HI

Ive decided to fork out a lot of cash for the PAM 27/28 Power reserve with genuine ETA 2892 movement.

BUT......

Which one do i buy???

according the josh's website he has 3 models.

1 - PAM 27 with plain black dial and SS case.

http://perfect-clones.com/pn02701-leather-...8922-p-444.html

2 - PAM 28 with Hobnail dial and SS case.

http://perfect-clones.com/pn02802-leather-...8922-p-446.html

3 - PAM 28 with Hobnail dial and PVD case.

http://perfect-clones.com/pn02801-leather-...2892-p-445.html

Im looking for a watch i can wear casually and also for business with a suit.

Which one do you think is best SS or PVD, Plain black dial or Hobnail???

Please any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by ajoesmith

Do not buy the PVD version as it is not a real PVD coating. The hobnail dial is only found in the PVD PAM 28. If you want PVD finish then buy the hobnail dial in the polished case then have me or someone PVD coat it for you.

If you want the polished case PAM 27 make sure it has the plain dial - these are very accurate reps so long as you stick to these rules.

Do not buy the PVD version as it is not a real PVD coating. The hobnail dial is only found in the PVD PAM 28. If you want PVD finish then buy the hobnail dial in the polished case then have me or someone PVD coat it for you.

If you want the polished case PAM 27 make sure it has the plain dial - these are very accurate reps so long as you stick to these rules.

Yeap.. What he said!

Here are the issues (and I am sure I have forgotten one or two):

Gen came in two forms: hobnail with PVD and flat dial in SS. I love the hobnail dial but do not love the "PVD" finish on the rep as it is too dark relative to the gen which uses a different process.There is conjecture that the PVD on a rep is actually anodized. I don't own one so I don't know. So if you want the closest to gen with hobnail dial you would buy the hobnail dial with SS and ship out to Finepics for PVD process. But that adds significant cost to an already expensive rep. For straight out of the box the plain dial with SS is closer to gen. Although it is entirely personal preference if I was buying one for both business and casual attire I would go with the plain dial and SS. PVD can be limiting anyhow. My 2 cents. :)

So I vote for #1.

Here are the issues (and I am sure I have forgotten one or two):

Gen came in two forms: hobnail with PVD and flat dial in SS. I love the hobnail dial but do not love the "PVD" finish on the rep as it is too dark relative to the gen which uses a different process.There is conjecture that the PVD on a rep is actually anodized. I don't own one so I don't know. So if you want the closest to gen with hobnail dial you would buy the hobnail dial with SS and ship out to Finepics for PVD process. But that adds significant cost to an already expensive rep. For straight out of the box the plain dial with SS is closer to gen. Although it is entirely personal preference if I was buying one for both business and casual attire I would go with the plain dial and SS. PVD can be limiting anyhow. My 2 cents. :)

So I vote for #1.

@kruzer00

ok so you think number 1 is a better option. Movements aside, Silix has the SS case and plain black dial for $80 with asian power reserve, http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1486

is the movement the only difference??? does anyone know. I know the case back is wrong but any other differences??

Thanks

The movement is a big deal. But you pay alot for it. If you buy 2892 version you are buying an original movement rep. Any other mods such as changing crown, datewheel or cyclops will be well worth it. The watch will hopefully last a lifetime. On the Asian you buy it as is and leave it. Apples and oranges. :)

Others already said all that worths. Just as a summary:

- If you want a great out-of-the-box rep, just get an ETA 2892A2 027 (SS + plain dial). It is 96%. All you have to modify to have it 99% are: the crown (97%), the cyclops (98%) and the datewheel (99%). A relume, and you will go to 99.9%.

- If you like challenges, get an ETA 2892A2 028A (PVD + hobnail dial) and have it PVD coated too. You may see a partial result (without a new datewheel) here.

I bought the el cheapo power reserve from Josh (same as $80 Silix) just to see if I can wear 44mm Pam comfortably (I can, yay!) and for the price I think it's an excellent deal.

Very nicely put together, tight crown guard lever, beautiful dial, the PR works perfectly. Overall excellent.

I know it's not accurate and you can't mod it but I don't care. I'd rather buy more reps.

I love my hobnail-dialed 027 2892 in ss even though it is not accurate. I plan on doing the cyclops, datewheel and crown soon. It will likely be the PAM I wear most often when it's done. It's sporty, elegant, solidly built and the power reserve is one of my favorite complications.

Good luck in your decision...

Thanks for all the advice.

Now if i could just find someone who has it in stock..........

Got mine from EL... ask nicely and he may be able to get one together for you.

I plan on PVD'ing mine once the datewheels are available.

I have the SS PAM028 with hobnail dial.