When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just modded my BP

Guest asim

Hi guys,

I am really excited as you can guess because I did these mods all by myself without any help. I desperately wanted a Big Pilot watch having been an IWC fan for so long.

I thought the 5002 was the best out of the box replica but the power reserve indicator was foolishly not at "fully charged" and the date wheel was sitting so far into the watch that I could see Santa hiding inside somewhere.

So I got another date wheel and had a good looking rep dial, opened the case back and there was no turning back.

I got the movement out, (pretty easy) and then studied the movement and how i'd take the dial off let alone mod a date wheel :S

I must say that the movement was very clean, i had a small "puffy" thing that puffs off any excess dust, and yep it was a very clean movement that had been keeping great time.

I set the hands all at 12 and took them off as you do, and then searched for the two screws that held the dial. Once I unscrewed the two buggers the dial came off easily. The old dial was terrible, the markers were off, and the writing was diabolical.

Underneath the dial was the date wheel. Now, I have no clue how to take that bugger off, so I didn't. I cut my new date wheel by snipping off the teeth and filing the ends that connected to the teeth. I then used some super-glue and carefully placed blobs on the date wheel already in place and carefully placed my new wheel on top and held them together till they were dry.

What a relief at this stage because it was all so easy.

I then placed the new dial on top which was a straight swap of course, seeing that both were from the same factory and then put everything back together again.

I am chufffed, even if some will think that this was the most easiest and whatever mods you could do, for me it was the first and I lost my modding virginity with great joy and pride!!!!

GetAttachmen999taspx.jpg

GetAttghachmentaspx.jpg

Dirty Wristy

GetAttachmggentaspx.jpg

Yeah I have hairy arms, that's because I'm a REAL man... lol :p

Thanks for looking

Asim

Guest asim
Great work. But don't use super glue as it tend to give off a white vapour as it dries and this might show up on the glass.

Crap.

Lol, never mind, as my first project it should be ok.

Great work. But don't use super glue as it tend to give off a white vapour as it dries and this might show up on the glass.

[n00b question]

What is/are the alternative/s available?

[/n00b question]

Guest asim

Thanks for the comments guys.

hi,

great job!

where did you got the spare-parts?

As for spare parts,

I was lucky enough to find a BP 5002 second hand on sale here and for dead cheap. I took that and dismantled that ages ago.

There are other ways to mod the date wheel though. I am not sure of the other methods but sander and vac have done them.

Guest asim
Great work asim! When that baby comes to my door in a few months, i'll leave it to the pros to do all the tweaks and mods, i have not the tools nor the balls haha.

Dan.

That's what I thought as well Dan. But I just had that urge to do something myself and I made it. But I have a few more projects coming along which are slightly more technical, that's when the pro's get a call from me!

As for the "baby", it is absolutely amazing!!

Regards,

Asim

Guest asim
Awesome work! Looks great, and the feeling you get what you do something yourself makes owning the watch that much better.

thanks bro, look forward seeing some 3717 pics when you get yours :p