When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fitting an IWC 79350 movement to the rep IWC Portuguese case

peyups

Has anyone fitted an IWC cal.79350 movement to the IWC Portuguese rep case? Is it a straight swap or there are problems fitting it?

I saw a member fitted a 79350 on a rep Ingenieur.. But has anyone fitted a 79350 on their Portuguese?

It looks like the 79350 movement is a bit thicker than the A7750 movement..

Edited by peyups

My watchsmith is actually trying to fit it.. there seems to be a problem on spacing he says.. that when he fits the crown to the case its not aligned anymore.

The rep dial and hands (except the subdial hands) are straight swap thou.

Anyway do let me know. :)

The reps have the crown positioned differently as the genuine movement is thinner, or to be exact the transfer gears on the front are thinner. Compare pics of the Port or Ingy chrono's with the genuine and you can see the crown position change. It won't be an easy swap as a spacer might leave the hand mounting shafts too short to clear the dial.

The reps have the crown positioned differently as the genuine movement is thinner, or to be exact the transfer gears on the front are thinner. Compare pics of the Port or Ingy chrono's with the genuine and you can see the crown position change. It won't be an easy swap as a spacer might leave the hand mounting shafts too short to clear the dial.

Hi Logan,

Do you know how much the difference is in mm? (approx)

@ Peyups: also the centre seconds hand is different. Do you know how your watchsmith solved this?

I don't know.. he just fitted the main chrono hand with no problem I guess. But normally I read you need a broaching tool to fit that.

If it's the same as using the A7750 hands on a Valjoux 7750, broaching is the better route, but gentle pressure has been known to work as well. This is from what I have READ here (see the A7750 movement swap references in my Noob Guide for details)...not practiced.

If it's the same as using the A7750 hands on a Valjoux 7750, broaching is the better route, but gentle pressure has been known to work as well. This is from what I have READ here (see the A7750 movement swap references in my Noob Guide for details)...not practiced.

Sure I will read it. :) He told me the main chrono hand has a virgin hole (meaning it was really tight) but he was able to pull it off.. the minute and hour hands was easy to fit thou. While the subdial hands of the portuguese he gave up trying to fit them.. He told me he doesn't have the broaching tool needed.

You think this is a good broaching set? http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/Broach-Set.html

?

I don't know where a longer cannon pin and spacer can be obtained for this project thou.. I hope I can hear a feedback to those who were able to fit a 79350 to a portuguese here. Or maybe its the same case for ingenieur..

Hey guys,

I have an inbound gen movement for the 3714 as well. Trying to sort out how to get this swap done. Let's keep this thread going with everyone's experiences and maybe someone can figure out how to do this right. There has to be a way to fit that thing in there.

Otherwise I have a very expensive coaster. Argh.

shu

You think this is a good broaching set? http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/Broach-Set.html

I don't actually do this kind of work...just like to read, search, learn. However, there are those who I trust absolutely, who do:

Watchdog and Broaching

There's a post by Watchdog who essentially says that broaching is not as simple as picking the right tool, cutting and you're done. It's iterative...meaning you need to under-cut, test fit, maybe cut some more, test fit again, etc, until it actually fits. So, having a "specific" sized tool does not necessarily mean the right solution. In other words, even with the right tool you should still creep up to the "right" size by testing incrementally to get the fit you need.

Hey guys,

I have an inbound gen movement for the 3714 as well. Trying to sort out how to get this swap done. Let's keep this thread going with everyone's experiences and maybe someone can figure out how to do this right. There has to be a way to fit that thing in there.

Otherwise I have a very expensive coaster. Argh.

shu

He Shu,

What is the problem you see?

I have heard it's thinner than the rep so the movement sits higher in the case. because of this the stem doesn't line up. Is this true?

Is there perhaps a way you can measure the difference between the rep and the gen?

The easiest solution might be to bring the dial back so everything lines up. You would need either a round spacer which would be tough to make or perhaps some dots of the appropriate thickness. The only downside would be some visible gap from the front. With a black dial I suspect this would not be visible.

@Sander I don't know the thickness difference, I'd guess 0.5 to 0.75mm perhaps?

Gen bezel ring, gen dial and gen hands. :o -- then gen movement.. so overall how much would have that cost? I hope still not close to the gen watch. Anyway goodluck with this modding.. good for you that you have the tools. :) Do let me know how everything turns out.

• 2 weeks later...