When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a question to all Euromariner/MBK sub owners

last night i rinsed my sub off under warm water for about 25 seconds, nothing abnormal.

When i put it down on the dresser i noticed it started to fog up under the crystal at the very top and went on to produce a droplet of water (due to temperature change).

I uncased the movement all is well with the dial and movement not being moist, but as a precaution i put it in a ziploc bag with silica gel. The Caseback gasket is greased and tight, as is the case tube. With my now gutted case i put the back on and screwed down the crown and performed a dunk test to spot the leak. NOTHING in 1L of water. So i dunked it with very warm water and then cool water. FOG around the very top of the crystal. Condensation has never been an issue before with normal wear except the first time i decided to rinse off the watch last night.

as Euromariner owners know, in order to get the insert to snap in you must shanve down 1mm from the top of the retaining ring due to the bezel ring being too short.

My question:

Did modding (shaving 1mm down)the retaining ring on the euromariner so the bezel insert snaps in cause this problem? Since after doing so I could see the top of the white crystal gasket sticking out 1mm above the retaining ring and may provide a way for moisture in since it's exposed.

Could this be why?

OR should I spend money and replace the retaining ring gasket and crystal gasket since the noobmariner/and vintage model subs only have a crystal gasket which is exposed under the bezel as well? I tested my noobmariner to 40M and even a condensation torture test with a solid pass.

SO anyone with MBK subs and Euromariners experience anything like this? I dont want to have to accept this as an inherent design flaw in order to have had that insert snap in. Or should I replace the gaskets on the Clarks and retaining ring?

thanks

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

I thinned (sanded down) the top of the retaining ring on my Euro V3. When I had it water tested the crystal popped off. I've thought about a new gasket, but haven't done anything yet.

Based on Stilty's pictorial comparison of the Euro bezel and gen, I kinda figure I'd need to upgrade some of the parts. I already have a gen retaining ring but would need a better bezel and possibly a flat washer. I've got other subs that are WR so the Euro is relagated to doing yard work and other beater activities, no water invloved.

I don't think the ruber gasket under the retaining ring is the culprit, frankly.

perhaps the top of the crystal gasket expands and contracts with the temp change ever so slithly letting the exchange of moisture happen. Just wondering why this doesn't happen on my noobmariner.

Chefcook- what brand of sealant did you use, and how and where did you apply it?

All I've ever done is press the noob crystal back on- popped it out from the back. But mine is WR, no problem. Like you say, the top end of the nylon gasket isn't supported by the the tension ring, but if the bottom is tight, it should work. The problem with the MBK/Euro is the variation in tolerances, IMO.

Chefcook- what brand of sealant did you use, and how and where did you apply it?

I used some stuff called GS HYPO Cement, bought it a year ago. Normally it is used to glue in plastic crystals.

After pressing the retaining ring over the crystal and it's gasket I added some glue where crystal and retaining ring meet.

I found out that the leak was between the crystal and the gasket as the retaining ring was too short to keep the gasket in place propperly under pressure.