When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

do they make a gold president replica w/good plating?

stretchrunner

I see that most all here have subs and dssd....does any one here make a good rep of the all gold president white face with roman numerals?

I know I may be laughed at here...but seems hard to find good electroplating these days? :huh:

Gold Day-Dates are all around- plated that is:

http://www.jpc8118.com/rlddf10030-full-gol...836-p-1006.html

But gold plating is not for everyday wear- eventually it will wear thru.

A couple of weeks ago a friend did tell me that Yuki Watch over in Hong Kong can get solid gold cases and bracelets- in 18K, and even in 10K. I haven't gotten any further than that. Price was in the $1000 plus range for the cheaper 10K for a case, maybe $1200 for a bracelet. Case can be made to fit eiither a Rolex movt, or an eta. You'd have to come up with the movt, dial, hands and possibly crown and tube. Like I said, I haven't gotten any further.

The plus side with PVD on a casing is that it should be fairly resilient to scratches and the coating should be quite durable. As true gold is a relatively soft metal, swirls, scratches, dings become an issue and concern. PVD would be a worry free kind of finish, and should be fairly reasonable in price.

18k solid cases can be found if you look around- As alligoat has mentioned, yuki has them. There are also a few other sources out there as well (but all intended for gen movements a la 3055, 3155, etc). The benefit to having a solid gold case is solely in value- It may be a frankenwatch, but the gold case will have some true intrinsic worth.

As an interesting side note- For anyone who has seen the SS DateJust cases on that one famous auction site, ever wonder why such cases come up for sale and in that kind of volume? It's largely because people would recase their standard SS (and in some instances TT) DJ's in aftermarket solid gold cases; the SS parts, dials, etc would then be unloaded, hence what you'd see for sale on the Bay. From what I understand, this is/was fairly large practice in the Asian regions, or so I am told...

Thanks for the input much appreciated....so who here knows where to or the go to guy for this picticular watch? :huh: