When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 904L steel

dadog13

Rolex polishing methods are of course superior to that of reps, most people find after refinishing/cleaning the bracelets of reps alot of 'dirt' or other residues come off.

Referring you to my 904L thread just to clarify that Rolex BRACELETS are not 904L but 316, the very same metal as our reps.

Is it just me or can you really tell that Rolex steel is brighter than the rep steel? I have this stuck in my head and can't seem to get over it... :(

Yes you can, in correct lighting. But the difference is so small that it's pretty much meaningless.

Here's my gen and rep side-by-side.

IMG_9829.jpg

Yes, you can tell the difference, but it is not because of the metal but rather the polishing technique.

If you will take the pain to do some polishing with rep with the very high quality compound sold by Bergeon, you can basically achieve at least 90% of the gen. brightness.

Nothing shines like Rolex 904L steel ;):p Seriously though, if what Ammandel says is true, that only the case is 904L, not the bracelet, then this so-called "white gold look" or "white hue" or "white sheen" or white whatever of the bracelet must merely be the result of superior polishing/finishing technique.

I recall RobbieG often mentioning that his Rhodium DJ looked whiter than 316L rep steel, and that it had a white hue to it. Maybe the bracelet on his DJ was made of the white gold looking 904L after all!