When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tuning Fork Transplant: Ideas and Sugestions Wanted

ThinkBachs

I have fallen in love with the incredible sweeping of the Tuning Fork and want to put it into a really decent rep. My first thought was to try and find a good OysterQuartz which seems like the most appropriate watch for this to be in. Trying to find one of these though is a challenge. I'm open to all other thoughts.

The start...

titaccw26.jpg

An example of the sweeping that I fell in love with...

Wow! :o That sweep is beautiful. I can see why you want to get that movement into something you can have with you all the time. Sorry I don't have any suggestions but I wish you luck in your search. Just be carefull not to stare at it too much after you're all done or you might look like this.... :blink:

I've got one of the first Girard-Perregaux 36,000 VPH vintages and the sweep is mesmerizing... my gen R's and O's look choppy after I've worn the GP for a while and my Eberhard (21,600 handwound) looks so slow! I haven't even had the heart to wind my vintage Glashutte as that's 18,000 VPH and I'd probably go crosseyed! Love the OQ idea !!

Its amazing how the smooth sweep makes the watch look like its running faster than it is. I have had a few Bulova accutrons over the years, they were great fun. FYI - the Rolex Oyster Quartz models did not sweep like a tuning fork movement, but rather they did do the one second at a time tick tick that is associated with all other quartz watches. I think the Rolex quartz never caught on because of the idea that anyone could identify a rep by how it "ticks" like a quartz. That and the fact that spring driven mechanical watches always have a soul and personality all thier own and are the first choice in high end watch making. The Rolex quartz was of couse the most accurate movement of its time and supposedly had a louder tick than other quartz watches. Does that movement have a date function? If it does you could build a DateJust style watch with the all black mystery dial (no hour markers at all) with that movement, that would be way cool.

Have fun B)

Its amazing how the smooth sweep makes the watch look like its running faster than it is. I have had a few Bulova accutrons over the years, they were great fun. FYI - the Rolex Oyster Quartz models did not sweep like a tuning fork movement, but rather they did do the one second at a time tick tick that is associated with all other quartz watches. I think the Rolex quartz never caught on because of the idea that anyone could identify a rep by how it "ticks" like a quartz. That and the fact that spring driven mechanical watches always have a soul and personality all thier own and are the first choice in high end watch making. The Rolex quartz was of couse the most accurate movement of its time and supposedly had a louder tick than other quartz watches. Does that movement have a date function? If it does you could build a DateJust style watch with the all black mystery dial (no hour markers at all) with that movement, that would be way cool.

Have fun B)

I remember now that the quartz had the ticking. It does have a date feature- which is close to the DJ style, and I'm sure that I could swap an appropriate DW to make it more correct. I just got a gen Omega Electronic dial in the mail today. I'll take a photo a little later. Putting it over the existing dial that came with the watch, it looks like it will fit perfectly.

Great idea. I am wearing my Accutron now. It dates from 1971, and has the 218 movement in it. The sweep is as smooth as silk, and hums really loudly!

Keeps very good time. Difficult to think of an appropriate model to transplant the movement into, though.

I like the idea of grafting an Omega dial onto an Accutron movement, can't wait to see the pics of that. What case would you use?