When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MWB or higher?

memorymoog

Hey there! First want to say I love this forum and have enjoyed reading posts for sometime. I am looking to start a 5513 franken project... what do yall think the best case to start with is (besides gen :))? Looking at yuki, MWB and some others.. currious to hear the expert opinion. Thanks!

No expert by any means...

If you are looking at building a Franken Rolex Vintage, your best bet would be an older version of MBW case. (any model mid-2007 and before --- either from George, luckky or Rabbit on MBK's 1st floor - Nah Piak)

Apparently, the newer version of MBWs have seen problems faced by collectors on plexi-glass, bezel inserts fitment issues.

If you have the cash, go for Vietnam produced cases but that will set a big hole in your pocket. Dials wise, there are debates to Vietnam versus MBWs....in terms of spot-on accuracy, sadly there's not one out yet. Variations in letter print, clarity, size, depth....the list goes on and on...

Also not an expert but what i can tell you concerning the case.

If you are going to use a MBW make shure it's an old version.

The newer version is a lot less in quality and in terms of accepting gen parts without modding the case.

For instance the bezel construction on a 1680 is terrible . You can't get it fixed the right wat so that it turns.

Mine can't be turned :(

Good luck with the hunt.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Here is an old case 5513. This one has gen dial, insert, crown, tube, bracelet usual case mods and was done in the less than $1000 area.

IMGP2717.jpg

IMGP2710.jpg

The minute you start moving into the Vietnam platform you are talking a lot more money. I made the choice to stick with the MBW old case platform and ETA movement (since there is no date on that watch) rather than being into the watch for $2,000 plus - especially in light of the decline in the prices of gens. The only issue with the MBW cases is that they will require case work. But half the fun of the MBW's is that you start with the base watch and add gen parts as you can afford it. 5513 gen dials can be had at excellent prices if you are patient, etc.

I've heard some good things recently about the Yuki cases. Essentially, they are the same quality as the NDT and Phong cases but at a reasonable price. They are for a 1520, etc. Rolex movement.

The first thing is to decide what motor you are going to use. If it's eta, it's probably best to stick with the MBW/MBK and hope you can find a decent case. Like Kruzer says, for under $1000 you can put together a very nice watch, and you can do it in stages to fit your budget.

If you're going with a gen rolex movement, maybe a Yuki case- I figure it would run around $1750 give or take when all's said and done. With the NDT or Phong cases, it'll run over $2K.