When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something new for my girlfriend, possible project...

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

So I've been thinking about getting something new for my gf and watching Hublot TV gave me an idea.

Here is a standstill:

hublot.jpg

Looked around but found no rep of it.

Then figured maybe I could make one.

Contacted loose sapphire stones seller and confirmed he can supply me with appropriate baguette cut stones.

But then I realised that to set them I would need a custom made gold bezel. What is more it would have to be gold bezel made to fit HBB case, prepared for stone setting, then sent for PVD coating it and then back to have stones installed.

Quite a project - but with all shipping here, there and possible costs of stones and bezel that might not really work ( and an all black rep for additional 700+) it seemed quite scary.

And today I noticed this:

sqb1.jpg

sqb3.jpg

Hmm - if I can get this bezel alone maybe it would make it all MUCH easier - just to get rid of the "stones" inthere (that are so crappily set that I just cannot believe it - just look at the pics above) and replace them with genuine sapphires? Or even go one step further and get gen diamonds? But if gen diamonds get fit into steel pvd bezel would they not loose their shine/sparkle? Is it safe to set any stones (sapphires/diamonds whatever) into SS? Or it should be gold?

Any experiences or knowledge in stone setting here? Any opinions? Would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you set 50 genuine diamonds in the bezel of a rep I'm going to have you certified! :o

Stick with the sapphires, far less expensive...........especially if it doesn't work out.

Ken

This will be a project I have to HIDE from my GF :) She might not like the Black ceramic case, but she loves blue sapphires and diamonds :)

I am sure You can get it more or less off the shelf: There are some gold versions with blue 'sapphires'. All You need to do is ask to have these stones in the All Black :

product-img--Hublot-Big-Bang-Gold-Mat-Chronograph-Asia-Valjoux-7750-Movement-Blue-CZ-Diamond-Bezel--30358--4v.jpg

WatchEden

Best of luck :)

BTW The diamonds will not lose any sparkle even if they are set in PVD: their brilliance comes from the top. Moissanite is a cheaper option: You are looking to buy around 2.5carats of stones here...

Guest Sql_pl
This will be a project I have to HIDE from my GF :) She might not like the Black ceramic case, but she loves blue sapphires and diamonds :)

I am sure You can get it more or less off the shelf: There are some gold versions with blue 'sapphires'. All You need to do is ask to have these stones in the All Black :

product-img--Hublot-Big-Bang-Gold-Mat-Chronograph-Asia-Valjoux-7750-Movement-Blue-CZ-Diamond-Bezel--30358--4v.jpg

WatchEden

Best of luck :)

BTW The diamonds will not lose any sparkle even if they are set in PVD: their brilliance comes from the top. Moissanite is a cheaper option: You are looking to buy around 2.5carats of stones here...

That's a nice find George!

It might look even better with this Gold Mat case... I am not sure if she'd feel comfortable wearing a gold plated watch, but we will see.

It is a shame I cannot open bigger pictures of this watch, I tried with opera and IE with no luck - does it work for you?

With these small pics it is hard to see details like for example quality of stone setting.

I wonder if it would be hard to replace these stones with some genuine sapphires:

SP244-1.jpg

They are amazingly cheap, I was just quoted $6.00 per carat of 100% natural genuine blue sapphire in baguette cut.

I love the black stone setting. Timeshops.net have had it for a while now, but the best rep of it. It's not gaudy or loud like a gold/diamond version would be. No offence M, I'm talking about for a guy to wear, I'm just not big on yellow gold at all, when mixed with diamonds and its a guy wearing it, slaps need to be handed out!! In abundance!!!

The blue would look fantastic I think, especially if your lady has blue eyes, then you can say you ot it to match her eyes, yada, yada. Bada bing, your in the top shelf of the good book corner!! ;) . But seriously, I think the blue sapphires would look fantastic set correctly!!

Sixx :bones: