When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Really need help sorting out the Carrera

zaazaa

Hi,

After 3 weeks of daily research, I think I've spun myself silly and could REALLY use a little help.

1st: I did a few weeks of computer research and picked what I wanted

2nd: I want to the store to try the gens so I could solidify my choices

I had decided to order was a brown Carrera, but the watch store didn't have it. They did have a black one, which I really ended up liking. Was a very big/bulky watch and it stood out on your arm.

Anyway, I went home not realizing there were different sizes until...

I discovered a review that talked about the "new" Carerra rep that was the correct size (discussed here: http://www.rwg.cc/members/Review-Tag-Heuer-Carre-t97469.html ). Figuring I needed another look, I went to Macy's to see what they had. The had the brown I had been looking for, ALONG WITH the original black Carerra which was MUCH wider and thicker. She said the big one was the "Grand Carerra".

So now my head is spinning - questions:

+ Is the "Grand Carerra" the big one, and how can I tell that's the rep I'm ordering?

+ Is the older/cheaper Carerra rep that is 2mm smaller than the new rep still thick and pretty darn close in size, or is it the size of the brown carerra I tried on

I really appreciate the help. I want the big black Carerra I tried on at the store, but I'm not sure if I can order the cheaper version and get something close or if only the new version will do it.

Thanks big time,

J

Hi, now first off, the Grand Carrera is a different watch & movement to the normal Carreras.

The GC dial will have one or two semi-circles (dependant on whether its the chrono or not). It is 43mm. The gen uses the calibre 17 - seconds at 3.

http://www.vialuxe.com/Blogs/wp-content/up...rera_chrono.jpg

The Carrera Chrono Tachymeter is the calibre 16 (7750) model thats been around for years. measures 41mm. Available in a number of colours

http://media.photobucket.com/image/carrera...2007/Fangio.jpg

and then we have the new Carrera Day Date, calibre 16. This is the 43mm one. The rep was first made (hastily) in 41mm - using the old rep case. The new version has the correct cal.16 rotor and the correct size case, plus a wider 22mm bracelet as the gen. The rep is available with black, white (silver) and brown dial - as is the gen.

http://www.tagheuerblog.com/wp-content/upl...v2a10ba0796.jpg

Thanks so much. This is very helpful.

Hi, now first off, the Grand Carrera is a different watch & movement to the normal Carreras.

The GC dial will have one or two semi-circles (dependant on whether its the chrono or not). It is 43mm. The gen uses the calibre 17 - seconds at 3.

http://www.vialuxe.com/Blogs/wp-content/up...rera_chrono.jpg

Clearly then, the gal at the store didn't know what she was talking about. The "Grand" Carrera above was not the watch I tried on.

The Carrera Chrono Tachymeter is the calibre 16 (7750) model thats been around for years. measures 41mm. Available in a number of colours

http://media.photobucket.com/image/carrera...2007/Fangio.jpg

This was the brown Carrera I tried on that was neither as wide or thick as...

and then we have the new Carrera Day Date, calibre 16. This is the 43mm one. The rep was first made (hastily) in 41mm - using the old rep case. The new version has the correct cal.16 rotor and the correct size case, plus a wider 22mm bracelet as the gen. The rep is available with black, white (silver) and brown dial - as is the gen.

http://www.tagheuerblog.com/wp-content/upl...v2a10ba0796.jpg

This one. I had trouble figuring it out because the only differences I kept reading in all the rep threads I dug up was that this was the "2008" version.

Do you happen to the if the first incarnation (hastily) put together in the 41mm has the same thickness as the gen/new rep? I'm guessing not.

Thanks again for taking the time in your post. I really appreciate it.

first generation of the rep of the tag carrera daydate is wrong in dimensions.. however the 43mm rep is right.. im not sure what ur asking.. but ye.. the difference between the first tag heuer carrera (41mm) and the 2008 model is the case diameter, introduction of arabic numeral and also the introduction of day/date instead of just the date.. i hope this help

Thanks so much. This is very helpful.

Clearly then, the gal at the store didn't know what she was talking about. The "Grand" Carrera above was not the watch I tried on.

This was the brown Carrera I tried on that was neither as wide or thick as...

This one. I had trouble figuring it out because the only differences I kept reading in all the rep threads I dug up was that this was the "2008" version.

Do you happen to the if the first incarnation (hastily) put together in the 41mm has the same thickness as the gen/new rep? I'm guessing not.

Thanks again for taking the time in your post. I really appreciate it.

Yes it sounds like you tried on the brown Day-Date 2008 model. The salesperson probably thought because it was bigger, it was GRAND! lol lmao

I also have the older 41mm Carrera Chrono. From memory, I dont think it wears as high as the new one. It certainly goes under a shirt sleeve easier.

All I would say is:

if you have small wrists - go for the (hasty but cheaper) 41mm Day Date rep - if thats the look you want

but if the 43mm size and thickness is ok with you, then the newer Day Date rep is the one to get

:)

The Carrera DATE (no Day function) racing in black is the right size at 41mm and is an excellent rep (no large arabic numerals around the dial...only stick markers). It comes in brown.

CV2013BA0786.jpg

The Carrera DAY-Date is supposed to be 43mm in the gen world, has the large Arabic numerals around the dial and also comes in brown.

CV2A12FC6236.jpg

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. It all makes sense now.

I started really digging the Carrera, but didn't realize there were different sizes (date vs day/date). I was close to ordering the black/red Date version.

Then I went and tried a few on, the same day I read about the "correct size" rep, and I couldn't make heads or tales of the different sizes. :o

The only bad news is that I'd only want the Day/Date size, and that can't be had for less than $250...

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. It all makes sense now.

I started really digging the Carrera, but didn't realize there were different sizes (date vs day/date). I was close to ordering the black/red Date version.

Then I went and tried a few on, the same day I read about the "correct size" rep, and I couldn't make heads or tales of the different sizes. :o

The only bad news is that I'd only want the Day/Date size, and that can't be had for less than $250...

Thanks again.

i kinda think the more price is worth it tho.. considering ull get double ar and also the more accurate datewheel :).. hope this helps.. and for me the 43mm looks better.. :)

i kinda think the more price is worth it tho.. considering ull get double ar and also the more accurate datewheel :).. hope this helps.. and for me the 43mm looks better.. :)

No question - If you want this watch, size matters! ;)

Decisions...

No question - If you want this watch, size matters! ;)

Both are beautiful watches and well executed reps. It's true the datewheel on the Date needs replacing if you're a stickler for details. I do like the Day-Date but find the dial a bit busy with the extra ring of numbers...but luckily the larger size makes up for that...and makes it not seem so cramped.

I have the Carrera racing (black with red hands) and love it. Fantastic watch on bracelet.

Like it was mentioned before, the extra money for the Day-Date means you get double AR, larger size, better datewheels, better rotor and better rotor bearing (like the Valjoux rotor nut) and likely improved probability of water resistance for swimming (better to get it checked of course).

Both are beautiful watches and well executed reps. It's true the datewheel on the Date needs replacing if you're a stickler for details. I do like the Day-Date but find the dial a bit busy with the extra ring of numbers...but luckily the larger size makes up for that...and makes it not seem so cramped.

I have the Carrera racing (black with red hands) and love it. Fantastic watch on bracelet.

Like it was mentioned before, the extra money for the Day-Date means you get double AR, larger size, better datewheels, better rotor and better rotor bearing (like the Valjoux rotor nut) and likely improved probability of water resistance for swimming (better to get it checked of course).

Thanks for the reminder on the date wheel, although as of now I'm not that big of a stickler (but I can see myself loving the watch so much that I'd spend another 100 to improve it).

I do love the look of the red/black racing you have. It's just that most of my watches are about that size, so I think the larger has caught my eye.