When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is your interest in a Caseback tool

blackbard

Thank you for the advice and private PMs. Production starts soon and should be available late next week. I should be able to keep them in the $25-30 range. 47mm case coming soon...

In addition to having custom buckles made, I asked my manufacturer to create a caseback tool. He delivered the prototype to me yesterday. It is made from Billet aluminum and will work on 44mm classic and current model Pams although it will not fit the Ferrari.

I want to know before a major production run the interest level. I will post pics of the prototype tonight but it will most likely not look exactly the same as I will be making changes to it.

So please respond with interest. I still will probably make some but it may not be a major run if the interest is not there.

My issue with a local watchmaker who refused to take my watch in for fear of scratching the case was one of the impetus behind this. He could not open the case so I had to do it with duct tape which wasnt pretty or safe.....

Let me know....I'll be able to supply these in the 40-80 range....Dont know for sure until I get some numbers of interested parties....

I might be interested also, but again depends on price.

Maybe these are made from machined aluminium tube? Not sure of the best manufacturing process.

From bar also, but lots of waste.

What would be really good would be those that do 44mm one side and 47mm the other.......

Nice Idea. I can do that. Do you have dimensions you could PM me? I will be calling the manufacturer today and this can be on of the changes. Might make it uncomfortable to use but efficient nontheless.

I might be interested also, but again depends on price.

Maybe these are made from machined aluminium tube? Not sure of the best manufacturing process.

From bar also, but lots of waste.

What would be really good would be those that do 44mm one side and 47mm the other.......

Actually , I think the plastic open ball is my best choice .

No matter what size , no matter which model , I can open most every replica as well .

And the most important reason is , it's very cheap !

Because it's just the toy for the kids !

Very useful !!

DSCN3839.jpg

Nice Idea. I can do that. Do you have dimensions you could PM me? I will be calling the manufacturer today and this can be on of the changes. Might make it uncomfortable to use but efficient nontheless.

If you're machining aluminium from scratch, then I'd second that dual-size - think of it like a cylinder with the opening on one side 44m and on the other 47mm. The two ridged/octagonal hand grips can be placed 10mm or so down from the end (one at each), enabling a good grip from the opposite side. If that makes sense? Sure someone can mock up a quick sketch.

I'd definitely be interested, but not at 80 - I think a dual opener at 60 would be your magic price point.

Guest avitt

Good project.

You're probably already doing this, but you should cut out the corners of the octagon, so that the wrench only makes contact with the flat areas.

...Oh, and make sure that the walls are really thin, so that you don't have to remove your strap to use the tool. ;)

Good suggestions. I already ran into the strap/crown issue on the prototype. It is being corrected now...

I'll post some pics later...

Good project.

You're probably already doing this, but you should cut out the corners of the octagon, so that the wrench only makes contact with the flat areas.

...Oh, and make sure that the walls are really thin, so that you don't have to remove your strap to use the tool. ;)

i'm assuming you're talking about something like this:

IMG_3764.jpg

the picture is from angus -- he had access to these at some point in time (you can see more pics in his photobucket here). probably worth emailing him to see if they are still available and if so, at what price ;)

deltatahoe

Yes. Havent been able to find. In development so I'll see if I get them cheap. Mine was free...

i'm assuming you're talking about something like this:

IMG_3764.jpg

the picture is from angus -- he had access to these at some point in time (you can see more pics in his photobucket here). probably worth emailing him to see if they are still available and if so, at what price ;)

deltatahoe

post-11711-1243997593_thumb.jpg

$25-40 range...Not as glamorous as Angus' or as multifunctional as orb...Just pure tool...

In addition to having custom buckles made, I asked my manufacturer to create a caseback tool. He delivered the prototype to me yesterday. It is made from Billet aluminum and will work on 44mm classic and current model Pams although it will not fit the Ferrari.

I want to know before a major production run the interest level. I will post pics of the prototype tonight but it will most likely not look exactly the same as I will be making changes to it.

So please respond with interest. I still will probably make some but it may not be a major run if the interest is not there.

My issue with a local watchmaker who refused to take my watch in for fear of scratching the case was one of the impetus behind this. He could not open the case so I had to do it with duct tape which wasnt pretty or safe.....

Let me know....I'll be able to supply these in the 40-80 range....Dont know for sure until I get some numbers of interested parties....

Send me the dimensions, I will have it priced.

Do you think to create a 47mm caseback tool too ? I'm in a for a 47mm one.

I believe I can beat that...

ebay has a octangular wrench for 44 mm pams for $40 so I'd be interested if it were cheaper...30 or less.

where can I get this plastic ball from and how much?

Please describe how exactly it is used, not 100% clear how the plastic ball is used.

thanks

Actually , I think the plastic open ball is my best choice .

No matter what size , no matter which model , I can open most every replica as well .

And the most important reason is , it's very cheap !

Because it's just the toy for the kids !

Very useful !!

DSCN3839.jpg

They rely on friction. Some have said that applying too much pressure on the glass may create damage....These are reps...However, YMMV. On ebay, it is sold as Orb...

where can I get this plastic ball from and how much?

Please describe how exactly it is used, not 100% clear how the plastic ball is used.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the reference to the glass bit?

Are they not for opening the case back?

They rely on friction. Some have said that applying too much pressure on the glass may create damage....These are reps...However, YMMV. On ebay, it is sold as Orb...

I don't understand the reference to the glass bit?

Are they not for opening the case back?

This was referring to see-through casebacks and the use of the plastic ball to open them. You need to press the ball to the crystal in order to use the friction for opening/closing. The crystal, however, is just like on the other side of the watch - it is pressed into the outer steel part of the caseback. Too much pressure might be problematic. If you are not doing this often, the ball is an option. If you are planning on doing a lot of work on your PAMS, I would get one of these openers.

Would anyone be willing to loan me a case back from a 47mm to create the prototype for the tool? If not, does anyone have one to sell?

Thank you for the advice and private PMs. Production starts soon and should be available late next week. I should be able to keep them in the $25-30 range. 47mm case coming soon...