When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Lubricant Component - anyone up for a science project.

Friend of mine invented a lubricant component that when added to an existing lubricant improves the lubrication properties. It's being used all over. Was wondering if it would improve watch lubrication if that component were to be added.

Anyone (Zigy?) have any ideas how to test a watch lubricant. I do have the component in regular lubricants but if I get a watch lubricant I can have him add the component. Anyone up for a science project.. or better have an idea how to compare watch lubricants without having to wait 5 years?

I can provide the lubrication component.. as long as someone can send it to me and I can have it added.

Hmm... :g: Sort of like the "Slick 50" of watch lube?

He is using nano particles... and it works.. he has customers all over, including many government/military customers...

Anyway this is not about what it can do but about setting up a test if anyone has an idea how to do it let me know and I could facilitate it.

Friend of mine invented a lubricant component that when added to an existing lubricant improves the lubrication properties. It's being used all over. Was wondering if it would improve watch lubrication if that component were to be added.

Anyone (Zigy?) have any ideas how to test a watch lubricant. I do have the component in regular lubricants but if I get a watch lubricant I can have him add the component. Anyone up for a science project.. or better have an idea how to compare watch lubricants without having to wait 5 years?

I can provide the lubrication component.. as long as someone can send it to me and I can have it added.

What is the improvement?

Will we need still to service the watch after 4/5 years? If so..no improvement for our case.

Francisco.

What is the improvement?

Will we need still to service the watch after 4/5 years? If so..no improvement for our case.

Francisco.

The improvement is adding nano particles which fill the smallest gaps in a surface (as a dry lubricant), reducing friction. Every time a company is testing it they take it. So the result would be that it does not need to be serviced for a longer time.. maybe even never... I don't know.

Graphite does that, so does molybdenum disulfide, so does teflon, and a whole host of other materials which are added to oils or other carriers... so what's the material, and what makes it different from, say, moly or graphite?

And, since different oils must be used in different places in a watch, what part of the movement would you target for a test?

Graphite does that, so does molybdenum disulfide, so does teflon, and a whole host of other materials which are added to oils or other carriers... so what's the material, and what makes it different from, say, moly or graphite?

And, since different oils must be used in different places in a watch, what part of the movement would you target for a test?

No Graphite etc.. does not do it the way this thing does. This lubricant is doing it on a nano scale level.. that goes way beyond the ones you mention. Also if they'd do the same as this, why do government/military customers buy and use it.

So I don't know exactly enough as to why and how, and don't really care. Just test it and see. All I know is everyone who tests it scientifically, performance based, is buying it. I don't know if it would work on a watch and I don't know anything about lubricating watches or how to set it up.

This is just an offer I am putting out there, that if someone has a test setup they think would make sense to evaluate this for watches without having to wait 5 years, they can send me the lubricant(s) I can get it back to them containing the particles.

I belive this has been discussed in the british horolgial journal May 09 editionpage 236, it has been licenced, as of may this year to grobet USA as horolgical lubricant and has apparently made a massive reduction in friction? you can read the commersial bit here http://www.diamondlube.com/