When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Luminous Paint Source!

Anakin14

I'm looking to touch up the hands on some of my watches with luminous paint. Has anyone ever tried this paint?

link to paint

It's not cheap, so I would like to know from someone if it works well (e.g. glows brightly). BV5680G07 is the model of paint I'm interested in.

Hi

I couldnt see the product in the link, but I have a Bergeon lume paint vial.

Its a pre-mixed liquid compound, but you do need to add a bit of binder for it to set.

To be honest, its slightly better than the standard rep lume, but I wouldn't recommend buying it if you need a decent glow.

Best to buy the other more expensive types out there :)

Note:

Funny, must not have pressed "post", first time round. Meh, here I go again :D :

Whilst lurking on repgeek a few weeks ago, I managed to save a link to a source that stirred up some excitement on that board:

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=3

Best if you read the threads yourself before ordering and research just in case, but, it is cheap :D

EDIT:

During my wanderings there I also saved this link:

http://www.wiegandwatches.com/index.php?ac...mp;productId=76

I believe it is the product of one "Flav" -(or whatever his name was), the fellow behind the Lumtech brand.

I'm looking to get some myself, not sure which brand though :p, the first one is much cheaper for how much you get, but perhaps the 2nd one glows brighter?

Edited by SliSpeaker

The smallest quantity rc tritec sells is 1 gram in a kit. That's around $40 USD. The problem is their shipping is also around $40, plus you have to find a way to get a deposit to their swiss bank, which universally involves fees. I got a gram of C1 and a gram of C3 a while back for a total price of I think $167. Ouch. But there is a reason the gen watches say "L swiss L". Super luminova is the best. Crazy bright.

The vials are absolutely tiny, but I actually found the stuff goes a very long way. I painted a whole sandwich dial twice, plus several sets of hands, and I'd say that's been maybe a third of a gram.

Some more advice: Do some searching before starting any painting. It's really really hard. I think the best way to apply is with a set of oilers. You do it one micro-drop at a time.

In summary, if you want to "just touch something up", you will very likely ruin it. If you're lucky, it's something bare metal that you can drop into acetone and start over. If it's painted, you are out of luck. That's been my experience anyway. I can be steaming along painting in say a perfect "12" marker and have one tremor/sneeze/bump/jiggle, smudge the dial, and just ruin everything. You wouldn't believe how horrible and fake an otherwise spectacular rep watch with a smudged dial can look. If you're very quick with the rodico, you might be able to rescue it, but that's been my main frustration: once the mix touches something, it's not coming back up, and any digging with pith wood/rodico/etc. just makes things worse.

I would love it if some of the master painters would chime in with any tips (especially on how to correct mistakes), but they seem to be pretty tight-lipped (or busy/etc.).