When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did the Gen trade of a lifetime yesterday!

rscmaine

Okay folks...I sweet talked a former Rolex dealer to let me use their case tool system today and popped the Two Tone case - happy little 3135 movement inside merrily chugging away!

Didn't open the 16610 as it is only 2 years old and has the matching papers -

Did show it to the biggest (vintage) watch dealer in Maine and he declared - "Of course that's real...stop wasting my time with this nonsense..."

The last time I saw a 3 ct DJ for sale was on Timezone - it had an ugly MOP and diamond dial (you know the ones) and the ask price was $2900.

A Gen E serial Sub should sell in the $5,000 range and a Gen Black sub for about $4-4500.

Okay folks...I sweet talked a former Rolex dealer to let me use their case tool system today and popped the Two Tone case - happy little 3135 movement inside merrily chugging away!

nothing quite like the peace of mind of knowing that you're safe and sound B)

deltatahoe

Here's the entire story - took about a year to do.

The base 16013 came from a long watch trade thread - beginning with an Omega triple date - going through a Doxa sharkhunter to an Omega smp to the trade which resulted in the datejust. Original $ into the first Omega was $1200

The dial came from Ebay and I paid $95 (Lucky - they go in the $399 range usually)

The bexel came from a porr guy who got fired from Lehman brothers and I paid $1,100 - 3 carat of that quality should cost more like $3,000 at the normal retail of $1,000/carat + I ended up paying the wholesale price of $300/carat according to a dealer friend.

Service and assembly cost me about $200 with shipping - so I hade what...about $2500 into the Datejust

I've got a few questions and I hope you don't mind. Based on your story it is clear that your watch is a put together. So, my questions are:

1. Was your base 16013 have the same dial that you put on it and bezel?

2. Did the other guy know that this was a put together and not 100% original if you put a different dial and hands on it?

3. Did you tell the other guy that it was a put together?

If you answered yes to one of the above, I say you got a hell of a deal. If you answered no to 2 and 3 then I say you screwed the other guy.

Edited by gavidoc

I've got a few questions and I hope you don't mind. Based on your story it is clear that your watch is a put together. So, my questions are:

2. Did the other guy know that this was a put together and not 100% original if you put a different dial and hands on it?

If you answered yes to one of the above, I say you got a hell of a deal. If you answered no to 2 and 3 then I say you screwed the other guy.

I'd have to disagree, as the parts were tested, and the dealer was happy that they were authentic pieces. I agree, it's a franken, but either way, the parts are still worth their value as gen parts. From that point of view, I don't think it matters if it's a franken or not, simply because the parts involved were all gen, so the deal was done on their collective value, rather than the history of the watch...

1) Not only did I disclose the aftermarket nature of the dial and bezel, but I am also sending him the original dial that came from Rolex along with the Jubilee bracelet and box.

th_DSC_0003-7.jpg

2) See above

3) Yup. We discussed the real cost of having Rolex assemble 3 carats of Rolex diamonds versus the "real world" cost - and as he is a jeweler he understood the insanity of paying 10X the cost just because they came from Rolex. Additionally we discussed his buying a gold fluted bezel for around $150-200 to undo the whole mess.

He was excruciatingly well informed.

1) Not only did I disclose the aftermarket nature of the dial and bezel, but I am also sending him the original dial that came from Rolex along with the Jubilee bracelet and box.

th_DSC_0003-7.jpg

2) See above

3) Yup. We discussed the real cost of having Rolex assemble 3 carats of Rolex diamonds versus the "real world" cost - and as he is a jeweler he understood the insanity of paying 10X the cost just because they came from Rolex. Additionally we discussed his buying a gold fluted bezel for around $150-200 to undo the whole mess.

He was excruciatingly well informed.

OK You have satisfied me that it was a fair trade with reasonable disclosure. I wonder if the next owner of that watch will have the same benefit of open disclosure, or will be become a sacrifice to "buyer beware". BTW, I have a gen TT Blue Sub, and I have been thinking of putting it on a blue croc strap, now I am convinced!

OK You have satisfied me that it was a fair trade with reasonable disclosure. I wonder if the next owner of that watch will have the same benefit of open disclosure, or will be become a sacrifice to "buyer beware". BTW, I have a gen TT Blue Sub, and I have been thinking of putting it on a blue croc strap, now I am convinced!

That's an issue between the buyer and the owner of the store, it's not rscmaine's concern, the watch is no longer his property, but that of the jeweller. Given the excellent deal which was transacted, one would hope that the future owner of the watch would be equally well treated by the jeweller :)

As for the strap, as someone who was never over keen on the TT sub, having seen the above photo, I am completely converted, so I'd say do it :good:

That's an issue between the buyer and the owner of the store, it's not rscmaine's concern, the watch is no longer his property, but that of the jeweller. Given the excellent deal which was transacted, one would hope that the future owner of the watch would be equally well treated by the jeweller :)

As for the strap, as someone who was never over keen on the TT sub, having seen the above photo, I am completely converted, so I'd say do it :good:

Agreed - I have enough guilt from my mother - I absolutely do NOT need to feel any concern over the next buyer, or the next, or the next...where does it end? :huh:

One could quickly go nuts.

There is enough trouble in the world already.

Agreed - I have enough guilt from my mother - I absolutely do NOT need to feel any concern over the next buyer, or the next, or the next...where does it end? :huh:

One could quickly go nuts.

There is enough trouble in the world already.

You're absolutely right there :) If I were you, I wouldn't let it bother me. The jeweler knew precisely what was being purchased, and transacted a good deal. One would hope that he carries the same ethos over to when the time comes for him to sell the watch on :)

You're absolutely right there :) If I were you, I wouldn't let it bother me. The jeweler knew precisely what was being purchased, and transacted a good deal. One would hope that he carries the same ethos over to when the time comes for him to sell the watch on :)

OK rscmaine, No more guilty tripping, and CONGRATULATIONS. Now, where did you get that strap? It looks like it has curved ends that fit snuggly with the case. Is it tang or deployment? PM me if you prefer.

Thanks