When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My EL 3717 Fliegeruhr

ubiquitous

Just rec'd this one today, thanks to a great member of the forum here (tutima). Bone stock 3717; I believe possibly one of the first EL 100?

This thing is just so much better in person than images could ever capture; just gorgeous. I now know what the excitement was all about with the 3717; it certainly lives up to the hype. Very solid, nice, weighty feel, thick substantial case, fantastic bracelet... Dial and hands are just :wub:

Of course, a couple of small common issues- The day and date don't line up, thick markers, etc. Got some ETA 7750 wheels for it, but am waiting to install them; I'm not sure but I might want to add a German day wheel in just for something a little different :) Might hold off for a Swiss transplant... And, I don't believe there is any AR on the crystal. No tint... I'll probably need to do that as well. No big hurry, though. Not sure if I can live without it for now; just want to wear it and enjoy it for a bit.

At any rate... Some pics.

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

And for grins, a couple on a G10...

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

New wheels...

IMG_2910.jpg

Switched back to the bracelet; wasn't feeling the G10 so much...

:)

To say I'm thrilled would be an understatement. I'm loving this one... :wub: And looking forward to trying my hand with something a little different from my usual norm...

Thanks for looking!

R

Definitely an early EL after seeing these pics, Ubi. Mine's on my wrist as I type. ;)

Couldn't agree more about the "you have to see it to believe it" sentiment. I was unsure about it at first based only on pics myself, but once in hand I loved it and for weeks straight it became a daily wear. The nice thing for you with smaller wrists, is that it'll fit like a large watch and look great at the same time.

Now just keep that G10 off of it!! BTW, how tight were the tolerances on the bracelet end links when you removed it? Mine is next to impossible to get off.

Anyhow, congrats again on a great pick up. You don't see the early ones around much anymore.

3717_1.jpg

Haha... Indeed, fellers. This is one of those 'where were you all my life' kind of pieces. Always noticed it from afar... Had several chances to pick one up... Missed the boat, started kicking myself, and finally had the right opportunity come along when least expected. It s definitely a high quality piece, and I'm ecstatic that I was lucky to find an EL 100!

Chief- As far as end links go, this one had some pretty tight ones, but removal of the bracelet from the case wasn't a problem, and it was just as easy to put everything back on. Ends are nice and snug against the case; I was hoping to see some slightly thicker spring bars in there, but the stock pieces are proving to be adequate. G10 will definitely not be an option; I threaded it through the lugs for fun, and just to see how it would look, but no love connection was made.

At any rate... I do think the AR is a must after seeing yours, and the day/date wheels are without question. I may get a strap for it, but I will need to think about whether I want the strap or bracelet for long term use; I don't want to be mucking about with those spring bars too often. Not really a ton that needs to be done on this one, which is kind of nice for a change :)

And yeah... This thing wears almost as big as a 44mm PAM on me. I was kind of surprised to see that :)

Congratulations Ubi,

The watch looks fantastic; but your pictures always show your watches at their best.

I have an EL version myself and I absolutely love it. It has a Swiss engine and wheels and chief's special window treatment.

I never really dug the bracelet but my gen Kevlar strap is my favorite combination so far.

replicawatches085.jpg

Looking good, Ubi....Glad you like it...

This one was purchased directly from the man EL a few years ago...One of the first couple hundred pieces commissioned by EL...

Wasn't going to let this go but the lure of the franken sub was too much to resist... :)

Thanks, Don and vly! I gotta say... I knew I'd love this, but I really had no idea how much I would until I saw it. Definitely gonna go a few rounds with some mods...

And that kevlar looks great, vly!

Tut- Thanks for the great transaction! I admit, it was hard to give up the franken Sub, but I can absolutely say that the successor is worth it. I think this one will have a permanent home in the collection!

:)

Congrats Ubi !!.. the 3717 looks like it was born for your wrist !

I may have a spare chiefs pilot crystal somewhere.. not sure .. I have to check.....holla if you want me to send you out a A7750 for now..

here's mine before any mods.. except for the invisible xtal..... I gotta get a fabric marker and get rid of the yellow thread though :rolleyes:

3717pilot010cu4.jpg

3717pilot014aw2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since I've managed to discover that I'm all thumbs with the 7750, I figure I'll leave this one to more experienced and talented hands (Zig). Should hopefully see a full make over with this one from the top down. No better way to initiate a full scrub than by screwing something up, I suppose :)

Heh... I can handle working with El Primeros but not 7750s. Go figure :p

Well, since I've managed to discover that I'm all thumbs with the 7750, I figure I'll leave this one to more experienced and talented hands (Zig). Should hopefully see a full make over with this one from the top down. No better way to initiate a full scrub than by screwing something up, I suppose :)

Heh... I can handle working with El Primeros but not 7750s. Go figure :p

Well.. I guess El Primeros were made for you!

Nevertheless, enjoy your latest beauty! :)