When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Explorer II review

Franke

Just to introduce myself i will post something i allready have posted on the RG forum. I take it that a lot of the respected members of RWG also reads the RG, so my appologies for consuming your precious time at this forum also. To those that never reads the RG i give you an update on my latest piece from Andrew at Trysty time. //Frank

Greetings,

my first rep was a Rolex Explorer II. It was a RMB 150 piece from the infamus xiangyang market of Shanghai. I was looking for a watch, and the Explorer looked nice, so i got it. I just assumed that no one ever could imagine if was a fake, it just looked sooo good. I was wrong. When i saw my new watch, i instantly promised myself never to wear the old one again. Ever.

So, today i recived my Noob Explorer II from my trusted dealer, Andrew at Trusty time. This is a stunning piece, and i will go through every detail, exept from braking the caseback as i dont have the proper tools for this move. Nor will i remove the bracelet, commented below.

The Explorer, introduced 1953, and the Explorer II, introduced in the early 70 was never any of Rolex big sellers. I would guess that its connected to the rather silly advertisments of it (The E II) as being a tool for the speleologist. How ever whants to be one of those, when you can be like James Bond (sub)?

Futhermore, the E II only comes in SS and is claimed by Rene Jeanneret to be part of Rolexes "Tool watch series" along whit Sea-dweller and the GMT. (not GMT master II)

When it comes to the E II you basicaly have two choises: Black dial or white dial. By-tor claims that the white dial is the only possible option for a tru Rolex connaisseur, and he might be right. Personally i dont feel quite comfortable in white, for the same reason that i would never buy a white BMW M5, nor a white tuxedo. So i just stick with black. Ok call me conservative, but i guess its just a matter of taste in the end.

Personally i think that black is the right choise for a nonsens free piece like this. It just so versatile, light weight, no extras, no rotable bezel, nothing. Just perfection. The only thing i don

Nice review, stunning photos.

I have a question... I Googled but could not find anything relating to Rene Jeanneret commenting on Rolex's "Tool watch series"

For my education, could you explain why the GMT Master woudl be included in such a list and not the GMT Master II? It has the same movement as the modern Explorer II and with the rotatable bezel it is arguably a more functional tool than the Explorer II. I am fascinated with the history of Rolex and I'd love to read the article or essay explaining the distinction.

Thanks again for the detailed review and thanks for sharing your beautiful rep!

Tony.

Franke,

Thanks so much for posting this review here. :victory:

It's one of the best Explorer II review I have ever read and seen.

Your photos are very helpfull. Love to see those details.

I hope you will continue to post nice reviews and photos like that on RWG in the future. :D

And yes, remove the case back sticker asap... :whistling:

Cheers

Stephane

I have a question... I Googled but could not find anything relating to Rene Jeanneret commenting on Rolex's "Tool watch series"

- - -

Thanks again for the detailed review and thanks for sharing your beautiful rep!

Tony.

Tony,

thanx for commenting on my article, it tells me that people are actually reading it, and i like that. I enjoy to really look in to things before writing articles, and this particular passage was based on quotes from this book. In chapter 12 discussing submariner and sea dweller on page 261, it says, and i quote:

"The watch, which has only been availible in stainless steel, has never been out of the Rolex catalog in over 20 years,

Edited by Franke

Hi Franke,

I love that book! It's been a long time since I've read it, I need to go back over that section again. I love the Comex and Pan-Am history.

Thanks for the clarification, I understand my confusion now. I think the author is in error on one minor point. He says:

These are watches, which are not availible in either gold or in two tone, and they are : The Sea-dweller, the GMT master (Not the GMT master II) and both of the Explorer models. These are the watches Rene Jeanneret used to call the "tool" watchs."

The GMT Master (not the II) was indeed offered in two tone (14K/SS). Perhaps Mr Dowling meant that it was not offered in this combo when it was ORIGINALLY introduced, but there are plenty of vintage examples for sale today. Here's one on eBay dating back to 1969: http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/1969-SS-14K-GOLD-RO...bayphotohosting

I think it most likely that Mr. Jeanneret designed the original GMT as a stainless steel pilot's watch (this is well documented) and Rolex later offered it in two-tone.

Thanks again,

Tony.

I've always said that this particular Explorer II is THE rep to buy. If you forget the crown it's in the same level with WM9 watches. Crystal/rehaut is amazing, very gen like. I don't like the engraving on these new replica versions though.

Yeah I have recommended the white version for people who are looking to buy the GEN, but never to replica buyers. The white version is NO GOOD without genuine dial.

Here are my 2 Noob Explorer II's. Will never part with them.

PS: Thanks for sharing this great review with us Franke.