When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie Help - Rolex Explorer II

dbutlerman

Hello RWG!

This is my first post, so forgive me if I am doing this wrong. I purchased a cheap rep White Faced Explorer II. It turned out to be a pretty nice rep, except for one glaring problem. It has the black faced, silver edged hands, instead of the correct black edged hands. I think that makes it look kinda cheesy. Anyways, I want to get the correct black hands for the watch (aftermarket hands are fine), but I don't know where to find them and which ones will fit with this movement. The place I bought it from claim that it is a Japanese movement, but from I have gathered from RWG, it probably doesn't mean anything.

So, my questions are:

1. Can I get the black hands somewhere? (I already have a case opener and hand puller, so I can put the hands on)

2. Which hands do I get to match this movement, and how do I determine which movement it is?

Thanks for any and all help!

- Determined Noob

(Sorry for the poor picture quality, I don't have my camera with me) :Dpost-22883-1244658450_thumb.jpg

First of all, I doubt it's a Japanese movt. It's probably a CN movt, which is a copy of the Miyota 8215.

So right off, Rolex hands will not fit. And finding CN hands is tough- it could be 150/100/17, but no one sells CN hands here in the US.

Lastly, you'd probably be best off leaving the watch alone. The metal surrounds on the hour markers should be black. I couldn't tell from the pic, but if they are silver, there's no point in changing the hands- leave them silver.

The white dial ExpII is a tough one, read By-Tor's review and everything else you can and you'll realize that it's almost impossible to come up w/ a good rep- they just don't make one and building one is also next to impossible. Maybe you could look around for a Noobmariner ExpII w/ a black dial.

BTW, Welcome aboard and keep reading!

Edit: The eta hands won't fit the chinese movt!

I think the DG2813 movt is hacking- chinese 21j, or asian as we call it. But I have no idea where you could get hands.

This watch looks similar to one I got from Watcheden last month. Poor date mag, but it has the black hour marker surrounds.

You could buy an eta GMT type of watch and the hands from wholesaleoutlet 990 might work. You'd have to remove the dial feet from the dial and glue it to the movt ring of the eta. Might have to swap out the datewheel and probably would need a better cyclops. Might have to change out the crown on the stem, also.

Asian clone eta GMT- say $200

ETA hands $30

datewheel 25

cyclops & glue 30

Watchmaker 50-100

Total $335-385- heck, call it $400

You might be better off just buying a noob EXPII w/ white dial, silver hour marker surrounds and hands and go down the road. At least it'll have better date mag and be under $150. Or buy the white dial noob EXPII w/ a Swiss eta and spend a little more- maybe $300 or so from Eurotimez.

If I were you I'd just forget modifying that watch. I agree with Alligoat... it's not worth it.

But then again most members here have been brainwashed with "get only the best reps" mentality. If you enjoy the watch, by all means mod it... but I don't recommend that route. It might have "correct" black hour markers but everything else on the watch leaves a lot to be desired. I hope you don't mind me saying this but it's utterly terrible rep. :D

This is the only way to get a great white ExpII replica but unfortunately the cases that fit gen dials can't be found anymore. This is currently the best option with black dial. Very good replica, however the new ones come with the nonsymmetric engraving. The engraving is not a "deal breaker" but I still don't like it. bklm1234 can source this watch (with engraving). If you want it without, try getting one through a member trade.

Whatever you choose, good luck! Nice to meet another ExpII fan. :)

Thanks for the help everybody! I've spoken to the dealer where I bought it and he has agreed to help me out, either by exchanging for the black dialed model which appears to be a better rep, or by finding me a white faced, black hand unit. And I am definitely falling into the "get only the best reps" mentality :D

And I am definitely falling into the "get only the best reps" mentality :D

Then stay away of the dealer who sold you that watch. :D

The dial color is not the only determining factor. The idea is to get the correct replica model.