When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A newbie... not so newbie

speedomax

Hello everyone.

I have bought with my satisfaction a replica of a Rolex Submariner with black bezel.

Please note I'm a newbie and all I do is read this forum and try to find info without making unuseful posts.

So far, I did all by myself without asking the usual questions of a beginner.

Now my problem is:

I have a co-worker with an original Rolex Submariner with black bezel.

We compared the two watches and we realized how close the replica is to genuine. Almost impossible to notice first look.

But what really hit us, was the bezel.

Gosh, the bezel looks fake. The numbers are bigger than the genuine!

Do you know where I can find a new bezel? A black bezel for a Rolex Submariner that fits my replica?

And that is better made than this one on my Joshua Submariner?

Do you know of any other mods I can make on this watch?

Please let me know and forgive a poor newbie asking always the same old things... so new to me!!!

thanks!

I believe you're talking about the bezel insert, not the bezel itself which is the metal part which holds the insert in place.

Some people buy a genuine Rolex bezel insert and put it on their rep. A gen insert will run $70-100 on ebay.

Second choice is the jewelryoutlet555 insert with the watchmaterial pearl installed. You can find jewelryoutlet555 on ebay and www.watchmaterial.com sells the bettter pearl for $10 plus s&h.

People like Helfands and Raymond Lee Jewelers also sell better inserts on ebay.

Keep searching around here for how-tos on the insert swaps.

I believe you're talking about the bezel insert, not the bezel itself which is the metal part which holds the insert in place.

Some people buy a genuine Rolex bezel insert and put it on their rep. A gen insert will run $70-100 on ebay.

Second choice is the jewelryoutlet555 insert with the watchmaterial pearl installed. You can find jewelryoutlet555 on ebay and www.watchmaterial.com sells the bettter pearl for $10 plus s&h.

People like Helfands and Raymond Lee Jewelers also sell better inserts on ebay.

Keep searching around here for how-tos on the insert swaps.

This is an insert that I received, just this week, from wholesaleoutlet, on the bay. I think it looks fair. Zeros could be a little wider, but I'm happy with it and it has a pretty good pearl also. Needs some clearcoat.

post-19305-1244867252_thumb.jpg

This is an insert that I received, just this week, from wholesaleoutlet, on the bay. I think it looks fair. Zeros could be a little wider, but I'm happy with it and it has a pretty good pearl also. Needs some clearcoat.

post-19305-1244867252_thumb.jpg

Also, this is a Noobmariner, from Eurotimez. The insert is for a 16610, which the Noob is modeled after, however it is just a shade to big for the bezel. I had to shave it down a hair. I guess it was dumb luck, but I got it just right and it popped in the bezel...no glue...hooty hoot. Every once in a while the angels smile.

Thanks for your precious answers.

My watch was bought from Josh, the model is a RLSS01008 but I don't know of which genuine Rolex is the replica.

I just hope that, if I buy a new bezel-insert, it will fit my bezel now!

About changing the whole bezel with a new one or one that is genuine... do you think I can make it or should I call a watchsmith?

Thanks for your precious answers.

My watch was bought from Josh, the model is a RLSS01008 but I don't know of which genuine Rolex is the replica.

I just hope that, if I buy a new bezel-insert, it will fit my bezel now!

About changing the whole bezel with a new one or one that is genuine... do you think I can make it or should I call a watchsmith?

On some of these reps...for instance the Noob, the bezel is just not easy to remove without damaging it beyond reuse. Some here have taken them off and put them back. I went on some advice on this forum that made sense to me. Instead of removing the bezel and screwing things up...if all I wanted to do is replace the bezel insert is to do a destructive removal of the insert. You can take the point of utility knife and, very carefully, insert between the bezel and the insert and pop that puppy out. I can actually reuse the original insert. It just messed it up where I inserted the knife. I was able to mod the new 16610 insert and pop it in...no glue.

Also, I have BK's crown set. It is the larger case tube but it screws into the same hole on the Noob. It is buttery smooth too, just like gen.

MT

• 2 weeks later...
On some of these reps...for instance the Noob, the bezel is just not easy to remove without damaging it beyond reuse. Some here have taken them off and put them back. I went on some advice on this forum that made sense to me. Instead of removing the bezel and screwing things up...if all I wanted to do is replace the bezel insert is to do a destructive removal of the insert. You can take the point of utility knife and, very carefully, insert between the bezel and the insert and pop that puppy out. I can actually reuse the original insert. It just messed it up where I inserted the knife. I was able to mod the new 16610 insert and pop it in...no glue.

Also, I have BK's crown set. It is the larger case tube but it screws into the same hole on the Noob. It is buttery smooth too, just like gen.

MT

Thank you very much. So you think I should remove the bezel insert with a knife and then place the new one. Is there any sort of "tutorial" to do that??

Thank you very much. So you think I should remove the bezel insert with a knife and then place the new one. Is there any sort of "tutorial" to do that??

There is a tutorial for modifying the bezel insert before popping it in, but I can't find it. Could have been a link to repgeek.

Just take the (very sharp) tip of a utility knife and carefully press it, point first, between the outter edge of the insert and the stainless steel rim of the bezel itself. Lean the handle back away from the watch and you will begin to lift the insert away from the bezel. Go slowly if you want to preseve it. Be careful about the bezel, not to scratch it, and don't worry so much about the insert. Just work it up and lift it away. It has glue under it so it does not just "fly" off of the bezel. Once you get the knife tip under it just work it around a lift it away.

You'll need to clean the glue off of the bezel with a q-tip and alcohol or nail polish remover. Don't get sloppy with it.

If you purchase a oem replacement 16610 insert from anyone, it will not fit out of the box. It must be thinned on the back and the diameter must be reduced...ever so slightly.

Lay the insert down, on it's back, on a piece of 150-180 grit wet/dry sandpaper and, with two fingers pressing down, move the insert back a forth. Turn it by ten seconds (using the scale on the insert) every 5 - 10 strokes so that equal pressure will have been applied. You can look at the back and see if you are taking material off evenly. You need to see a stripe of silver about 1/32 inch wide. You'll know what I mean when you start.

To shave the diameter, hold the insert vertically, with the edge resting on the sandpaper. Lean it back just slightly so that you will sort of undercut it as you go. Now, lightly pull the insert along the paper rotating it as you go...like a wheel turning backwards. Keep doing this, checking frequently to see when it fits. No worry though...if you get it a little too small just use some adhesive. I use Loctite Extreme adhesive. Holds like crazy, but you can remove it when you want.

When you think that the bezel is ready to pop in, then just run a black Sharpie around it being careful not to get any ink on the front. Just to cover the bare metal so it won't show.

And don't worry. You are not going to destry the watch. You will not hurt anything that another $15 for a new insert can't fix. I learned how to do this stuff by breaking things and tearing up watches. You just say to yourself...oops, won't do that again!

Have fun with it.

Mike