When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

secs@12 dodgy movement, so why?

jlowdo

Ok, relatively new to the forum, been reading lots and not really posted so far. But, there has been something that has been niggling me for a few days so i thought i'd ask.

General feeling ( from my understanding so far ) is that we buy the reps because we like the designs of the watches, and NOT that we want to try to pass them off as gens... at least most of us.

So, and specifically within this area of the forum, i'd like to know why there is so much emphasis on the ROO having a Secs@12 configuration when it appears that it is unstable at best with the A7750 used to run it.

Surely, from the perspective of A) appreciating the design and B) wanting a ( relatively ) cheap version of it on your wrist; the position of the seconds dial causes no detriment to the visual design of the watch and will give it a better chance of providing us with a reliable watch for a long time.

Why then? I'd buy an RB11 if i thought it would still work in a years time....

First of all....welcome aboard....you found the source of happiness :p

Thats a very good question you have there....I for myself asked the same thing some lightyears ago. But I cannot answer it, you can ask this question in different words:

- why do I buy 7750 mechanical watch (with closed caseback) when I can get the similar design with 100% reliable quarz?

- why do I buy a chrono anyway....I never, ever touch or use it, have no real reason to do so.

For me I just decided that it is the perfect look I like in my reps...esepecially the APROO

Ok, relatively new to the forum, been reading lots and not really posted so far. But, there has been something that has been niggling me for a few days so i thought i'd ask.

General feeling ( from my understanding so far ) is that we buy the reps because we like the designs of the watches, and NOT that we want to try to pass them off as gens... at least most of us.

So, and specifically within this area of the forum, i'd like to know why there is so much emphasis on the ROO having a Secs@12 configuration when it appears that it is unstable at best with the A7750 used to run it.

Surely, from the perspective of A) appreciating the design and B) wanting a ( relatively ) cheap version of it on your wrist; the position of the seconds dial causes no detriment to the visual design of the watch and will give it a better chance of providing us with a reliable watch for a long time.

Why then? I'd buy an RB11 if i thought it would still work in a years time....

Well, IMO, the Sec@9 doesn't have the same finish, that gen finish, the sec@12 is really well done, and can easily be one of the most accurate reps out there, it doesn't matter that the movement is a time bomb, it looks gorgeous!

I initially preferred the seconds at nine for exactly that reason - they work. And then I found out the hard way that a gen dial and inner bezel don't fit. The dial does but the inner bezel doesn't. I am appreciative that the seconds at 12 has the correct case construction. And I am hoping to shortly answer the question as to whether a gen dial and inner bezel into a seconds at 12. Having read the movement review I concluded that you have to add the cost of an initial proper servicing to any of these watches you buy.

I initially preferred the seconds at nine for exactly that reason - they work. And then I found out the hard way that a gen dial and inner bezel don't fit. The dial does but the inner bezel doesn't. I am appreciative that the seconds at 12 has the correct case construction. And I am hoping to shortly answer the question as to whether a gen dial and inner bezel into a seconds at 12. Having read the movement review I concluded that you have to add the cost of an initial proper servicing to any of these watches you buy.

Could be the gen dial will fit the case, but the sec @ 12 movement has the date more to the right vs the gen movement.

Could be the gen dial will fit the case, but the sec @ 12 movement has the date more to the right vs the gen movement.

I have only tried the seconds at nine case (and I am using a gen movement). What you mention is what I am concerned about with the seconds at 12 but it may just be a function of the steepness of the inner bezel such that it "spreads" too far over the dial. I will know in the next couple of weeks.

Why go for a potential dead movement?

Human nature is to want more more more, bigger house, better car, better looking wife, bigger TV etc etc

People will take short-cuts to appear to have more... body kit on cars, watches, etc etc.

There is also some strange fascination with chrono watches, if you look at reps being produced in last year or so, for every three-hand watch produced (I'm talking about "super" reps) there is at least five to ten chronos produced. For example, it would be much easier to produce ETA based AP ROO non-chrono - Scuba, for example - and I'm sure they would sell loads of that, also Blancpain Fifty Fathoms and many more. But, they are always going for chronos, making all kind of strange, often dodgy mods to A7750s - and we buy them :(

regards

There is also some strange fascination with chrono watches, if you look at reps being produced in last year or so, for every three-hand watch produced (I'm talking about "super" reps) there is at least five to ten chronos produced. For example, it would be much easier to produce ETA based AP ROO non-chrono - Scuba, for example - and I'm sure they would sell loads of that, also Blancpain Fifty Fathoms and many more. But, they are always going for chronos, making all kind of strange, often dodgy mods to A7750s - and we buy them :(

regards

They can mark up the prices on the chronos a lot more. Seeing as they've phased out ETA chrono movements (and if there are any with those, they are at very high prices) until the Asian 7750 copy movement is now the norm. Over time, they've bumped up the prices on even the A7750c movement-based watches. I remember some HBBs going for 1k at one point! (note: the only Swiss ETA based HBB, as far as I know, is a painstakingly modified version of Kruzer's).

The standard 3 hand watch doesn't get to a high price and genuine ETAs can be used. They just don't have as big a profit margin on these, unless they can find some excuse (eg. Big Bang King).

• 3 weeks later...

First of all....welcome aboard....you found the source of happiness :p

Thats a very good question you have there....I for myself asked the same thing some lightyears ago. But I cannot answer it, you can ask this question in different words:

- why do I buy 7750 mechanical watch (with closed caseback) when I can get the similar design with 100% reliable quarz?

- why do I buy a chrono anyway....I never, ever touch or use it, have no real reason to do so.

For me I just decided that it is the perfect look I like in my reps...esepecially the APROO

It's a shame because it's posts like these that are the only thing that keep me from buying the watch that I really want, I am inlove with them head over heels quite honestly but they do run about 550+ and reading about 3 watches all breaking down I just don't have that kind of money, if I did i'd just get a real one that wouldn't break down lol.. Wont a 12sec run for atleast 2-3 years?

Can you lend me 75k so I can get an RB2?

Not that $750 is chump change but if you want to

pull off a $75k watch you should have some money available to buy the rep and pay for servicing

That would run you 1 percent of the watch value and run for a few years

Personally I would never be able to afford a $75k watch so I don't plan on wearing the rep