When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Changing movements/movement holders

I've ordered a low end vintage sub replica (because it's got the dial markings I want) and I'd like to upgrade the movement to a high beat.

People talk a lot about movement swops, especially in the vintage fora. I know the movement has to fit inside the case but it also fits into some form of movement holder, either plastic or metal. When you do a swop, where do you get your movement holder? Are there standard models, can you make one, can you move from plastic to metal, do the come with the movements? As you can see I know little, so please feel free to lecture me.

Well you will need a movement holder, to remove the hands and dial.

There are many types-

http://www.findingking.com/c-2913-watch-mo....aspx?pagenum=1

Here are 3 pages of various styles.

I like the spring loaded plastic job-

post-13-1244797319_thumb.jpg

and have a couple of them. They are good units as they fit many various sizes.

Also have a few of the others, some will double as case holders, which sometimes are needed to get screw backs off.

Hope this helps a bit.

O/S

I think he's looking for a spacer/case ring to fit the movement inside the case.

Fit/compatibility will depend on the movement you are starting with, and the movement you are changing to.

For what it's worth, old vintage Rolex (and vintage watches in general) had slow beat movements anyway (e.g. 19800bph); changing to a high beat 28800bph ETA or similar movement would technically be incorrect if you have, say a 1680 Submariner...

I think he's looking for a spacer/case ring to fit the movement inside the case.

Fit/compatibility will depend on the movement you are starting with, and the movement you are changing to.

For what it's worth, old vintage Rolex (and vintage watches in general) had slow beat movements anyway (e.g. 19800bph); changing to a high beat 28800bph ETA or similar movement would technically be incorrect if you have, say a 1680 Submariner...

This brings up a question that I have been wanting to ask. What are some of the models that always...always used a 6 bps movement. 5513, 1680, etc. Most of the one's that Josh sells are sold with ETA (or Asian made) 8 bps movements. I have not gotten one that I want because I though it is in error.

Thanks for all your knowledge.

MT