When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A7750 servicing, Carreras, and dealers

metaljesus

Hey all. I've only been a member of this forum 4 days or so and only have 3 posts, but for those 4 days ive been reading pretty much non-stop :) I can see this getting extremely addictive ...

Anyhoo, im about to order a 43mm Carrera Day-Date (while I wait for more BK WM9 v2 Rolex Subs to come out) I've noticed that a lot of people recommend getting the A7750 serviced before use. So I'd like to that. Pretty much every dealer has this watch and for the same price, so Im wondering if there are any dealers that are able to service the movement before selling it to me? Does anyone have any recommendations as to who to buy this from?

As I've no experience all the dealers look the same to me ;)

There doesn't seem to be any mods needed for this model, except for maybe applying a better lume to the dials? Is this possible?

Also, are there any EU (or better yet for me, UK) dispatched dealers?

Questions galore. Thanks in advance.

-mj

I don't think there are any dealers who offer 7750 servicing, and if there was, I would not recommend it. Consider it the same as the "paint protection" or "rust proofing" package from a car dealer...a bit of a sham... your much better off getting someone else to do the servicing. There is a fellow in germany who does servicing, search for EU servicing or something similar to find a post on him here.

All the dealers listed here are trustworthy, so it's a personal choice.

Lume is possible, but I am not aware of any one in the EU who offers lume service, certainly don't consider Rocketeer after all the posts this week on the quality of his services.

Wow fast response. :) Can I just take this into my local jewellers and have it serviced? Or does it need to be someone who specifically services A7750s? If there was a dealer on here that everyone had a high opinion of that did the servicing and adding lume, I wouldnt see any reason not to trust them. I hardly want to be posting my new watch off after receiving it, I want to wear the damn thing :)

-mj

If there was a dealer on here that everyone had a high opinion of that did the servicing and adding lume, I wouldnt see any reason not to trust them. I hardly want to be posting my new watch off after receiving it, I want to wear the damn thing :)

-mj

Well what do I know...maybe someone else can offer better advise...

Well what do I know...maybe someone else can offer better advise...

The best advice has already been given.

@TS please do some research on this board on to what the results have been of the added services of our respected dealers. If you want to safe time researching, I can tell you that its no good. Better have it done by someone who is known to deliver good workmanship. I don't mean you will have to go to The Zigmeister, but save yourself dissapointment by going to someone who doenst do the 'swish n dip', and is known to deliver good service!

Edited by slickdick

Nope, don't go near your local guy. First of all, it's a fake, with all it's risks... secondly, servicing the asian copy of the Valjoux 7750 is a major b-tch, so you really need someone who has done it before and is experienced with that specific model. Basicly you have only 2 options, The Zigmeister in Canada or the german guy (try searching "watchmaker in gemany", if the tip from The Zigmeister yielded nothing.), end of story...

If you want lume, then it's even easier, only ZM does both. However, the lume on gen Tags suck, so it isn't really that necessary, only if you're a lume freak (easy to become, once you have seen the meisters work... B) ) it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

As to which dealer, buy with confidence from PT here on the forum (Precious Time), he's based in the UK and a outstanding guy and dealer.

Finally, don't worry about being parted from your new watch, that's a simple problem to solve, just buy some more! :D It's addicting...

Bear in mind...with the quick response from the Zigmeister, you were privileged to get the info from the best!!

As others have said, as much as we say the dealers recommended on the board are trustworthy, the servicing options from the dealers are not generally recommended. In fact, with the A7750 movement, it's hard to find people who can service a chrono movement in general, and even harder to find someone to service an Asian 7750. The issue is mainly sourcing parts if needed...and there are some other idiosyncracies about the A7750 that aren't there compared with the Valjoux 7750. Read Zigmeister's posts to get the details on these.

You can wear the watch, and you'll likely be good for over a year without problems. If you want the watch to last many years...servicing BEFORE parts that can't be replaced wear out is why servicing is recommended. Proper regular servicing (every 5 years or so) will allow a rep watch to last as long as the gen...a lifetime.

Given the cost of the servicing...the other option is to just enjoy the watch...let it die when it dies...and just buy a new one. Given the nature of the hobby, you'll be accumulating more and more pieces...so you'll have a few to rotate through.

Welcome to the forum.

Zigmeister I don't mean to discount your advice, I was just trying to say that I was looking for opinions and recommendations and this forum seems like a pretty trustworthy way of establishing who to deal with.

I've just done some searching and this appears to be the German watchmaker:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/perfect-Watchmaker-EU-t94025.html

Some pretty glowing recommendations on there.

Zig, would you be willing to do the service and lume? What kind of cost would I be looking at?

Cheers,

-mj

If there was a dealer on here that everyone had a high opinion of that did the servicing and adding lume, I wouldnt see any reason not to trust them. I hardly want to be posting my new watch off after receiving it, I want to wear the damn thing :)

Suggest you do a bit more reading as it's obvious you don't really have much of a clue what is entailed in servicing a movement. No dealer will do it, at best they'll get an associate to do a "dip and swish" - a waste of your money. Same with reluming - it's a very delicate process and even a lot of watchsmiths won't undertake it.

Like a lot of new members, it seems you're just looking for a quick fix solution - that you're unwilling to send off your watch for proper servicing just because you want to wear it 'yesterday' screams impatience - a characteristic that will not get you very far in this new hobby of yours.

Zigmeister gave you some good advice, particularly re. the dealer/car salesmen analogy. Ignore it at your own cost.

Look, I could get really defensive here but I don't want to turn this thread negative (so I'm just going to get a little defensive).

When I said that I would trust a dealer recommended by this forum to service a watch, I wasn't ignoring Zigmeisters advice, I was taking it on board but also hoping that someone may have had a positive experience having a new watch serviced by a dealer. An exception to the rule if you like. Obviously I didn't word my post very well.

Docblackroc, where are you getting this? I've already had a PM conversation with Bricciola, the German watchmaker, about sending him my watch. I never said I wouldn't send my watch off, just that I'm eager to wear the thing. So please don't attack my character based on me looking for the most convenient solution to a problem.

I'm on here to learn and that's why I'm asking questions. I apologize if I appear to be ignoring the advice that I'm requesting. That's the opposite of my intent.

Look, I could get really defensive here but I don't want to turn this thread negative (so I'm just going to get a little defensive).

I'm on here to learn and that's why I'm asking questions. I apologize if I appear to be ignoring the advice that I'm requesting. That's the opposite of my intent.

No misunderstanding on my end. :) Just so I wasn't misunderstood, my comment was mainly to highlight you got lucky that The Zig had the time answer your post...not to imply you weren't listening or anything like that. Most people usually just say to look up his posts...but he was able to respond directly which was good.

Yup...I hear the excitement about getting the watch. The last thing I would want would be as soon as you get it, to have to send it off for servicing. In an ideal world, if the dealers could do it, it would be convenient...then straight upon arrival, you would have something good to go and reliable for a long time. Alas, such is the world of the rep watch, and dealer based servicing is generally not recommended.

Zig's recommendation based on his examination of watches in for service is that you should be fine wearing the watch unserviced for a little while...but if you want it to be in shape to last a long time, to service it within 9 months or year or something like that. So, even upon receipt of your watch without servicing...you still have a good stretch of time to wear things before you figure out what you want to do. In that time, you might even decide you want to move onto another watch. If you also do the usual stuff I'm sure you've read like not manual winding if you can avoid it (or going very slowly if you have to), and being careful what time you change your date on the watch...you will avoid the big issues that affect the A7750 movement (that and avoid bashing it into walls or dropping it on concrete floors).

We're just a bunch of passionate folks here...don't think people are criticizing you.

All dealers are sales people selling watches not watchsmiths

Servicing and reluming requires a watchsmith

Don't confuse the 2 professions and you will be much better off

Secondly I see no point in servicing and luming this watch at this time

Get it, wear it for at least 3 months to make sure you like it before spending more money modding it

The movement is reliable out of the box servicing could be done a year down the road just as easy

You are just learning we have all been there don't take comments personal

My last comment is that although we trust the dealers here enough to send them $500 for an illegal it we don't believe everything they say or buy everything they might want to sell us

Again salesperson vs watchsmith, 2 very different professions

Thanks for the advice everyone. Okay so I definitely heading down the wrong road by thinking a dealer might be a service option. What gave me the idea initially was reading about the modding services available from dealers like BK. Im really hoping to get a Sub from him when theyre available again, with his crown mod and magnify fix.

I think roger and toad's advice about waiting a couple of months before the service is a good idea. I had thought, from reading past posts, that the movement was pretty damn unreliable until it had been serviced. But if the general opinion is that its okay out of the box in the short term, well then ill put it on my wrist for 3 months and see how i feel about it after that. Anyone else have an opinion on this? Ill do some more searching for posts on the movement.

Besides, I do have another 3 watches on my list to buy in the next couple of months. Perhaps I'll like one of those more.

Thanks guys.

-mj

What gave me the idea initially was reading about the modding services available from dealers like BK. Im really hoping to get a Sub from him when theyre available again, with his crown mod and magnify fix.

Besides, I do have another 3 watches on my list to buy in the next couple of months. Perhaps I'll like one of those more.

BK is a little bit of a different story as he is a modder...and not a dealer directly (in other words he's not dealing with the factories the same way that the Gang of Four are, or any of the others are). His modded watches are well modded watches that you can see from the reviews of his releases. I don't know if he does servicing...but I think he does lume work and that's generally been considered good.

Bear in mind, with his watches, he addresses what some consider glaring errors in the reps...but if you just order a basic good rep, you might find these glaring "errors" in real life are not worth spending the money on...when all you're doing is moving it from say "90%" to "94%". Maybe it's worth it for you...maybe it's not...you have to decide for yourself. I always think about doing some of the mods when I see the reviews...but when I hold the watches in real life, I realize, when the largest real dimension is <5cm...a "big" error, is really small.

Do you want to spend the money on 1 really accurate modded watch, or 3 really good reps? That's the ultimate question. Most would say "do both"...but if that's not in the cards or your collection strategy, decisions have to be made.

If you read the Noob Guide linked in my sig, there are the articles on movement servicing. Zig's recommendation is the 9 month mark....that's close to a year...and as long as a "Fossil" or "Tommy Hilfiger" gen in the same price range as a good rep would keep your interest so it may not be worth servicing the rep...just switching to the new piece.

Good luck.

Again with the good advice Toad.

I'll hold off for 9 months.

Yeah I have looked into all the options with Subs. For atleast 6 months I've been strongly contemplating a gen one, as I have with a Monaco. I've now decided to blow the money on a kick ass holiday and buy a few reps instead. After 6 months of closely watching (no pun) 2nd hand prices, ebay, and trying on a few in retailers, I've a pretty good eye for the details of a gen compared to some of the reps. Little things like an oversized crown or no lume on the hands would irritate me every time i looked at it or i was in a dim room. Dropping $500 on the best Rolex modded rep available isnt really a huge deal for me, makes more sence to me than spending $240 on one I'll not be totally happy with. Besides, im looking forward to seeing if I can pass mine off amongst my mates with gens :) In my work i come across a few gen subs on wrists too.

The plan is:

The Sub (in black with SS bracelet) will be my pride and joy and get the most use, the Carrera (in black with black leather band) and a Bently 6.75 (in white with brown band) will round out things.

At least thats the plan right now. I imagine it might be hard to stop once i start ...

-mj

Yeah I have looked into all the options with Subs...Little things like an oversized crown or no lume on the hands would irritate me every time i looked at it or i was in a dim room.

In my work i come across a few gen subs on wrists too.

The plan is:

The Sub (in black with SS bracelet) will be my pride and joy and get the most use, the Carrera (in black with black leather band) and a Bently 6.75 (in white with brown band) will round out things.

At least thats the plan right now. I imagine it might be hard to stop once i start ...

Sounds like a good plan. My work usually is Datejust country more than sport watches...that's probably the most popular watch I see...that and some Tags.

Look at Lanikai's and I think By-Tor's review of the BK Sub...I think that's who did them...excellent review by some great photographers and folks with eyes for details. That should seal the deal for you.

I wish I could pull off the 6.75...coolest caseback around...just doesn't work unless your wrists are much bigger than 6.75".

The Carrera Day Date and the Carrera Date are both excellent pieces as well.

Good luck on the journey...it's fun. When all's said and done...if you find you found the info you need, consider upgrading your membership to ensure the info you want in the information is still around.

Cheers.