When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cousteau 2006 relume

samgher

I recently bought my 2006 Cousteau Divers from bigbigwatch.com. The watch quality is great but dial lume is poor. I have ordered a superluminova set from RC Tritec and will receive the parcel within two weeks.

I am planning to relume the dial but dont know if is recommendable to remove the hour markers from dial (scratching glueing points from behind if available). The markers could be inserted in solvent to remove the old lume, and there is no risk of scratching the dial. The difficult part will be placing the markers again.

By the other hand, removing the old lume with markers in their place could result in total disaster, i mean loose markers, dial scratches, markers damage....

Suggestions will be appreciated.

post-19620-1245970599_thumb.jpg

Lume jobs are difficult at the best of times. If you lume just the dial, the lume will stand out so much from the parts not relumed (i.e. hands and rotating bezel). The difficulty with lume jobs is learning to paint using a lupe, as well as learning the medium you are painting with (i.e. the lume itself). Working the consistency to what you want and the sheen (matte or gloss) is a personal preference and will take some practice.

If this is your first lume job, I would suggest working on something else first to at least try it before you work on what I think is one of the nicest reps around.

The Zigmeister's work on my CD is amazing and is pictured in his post on a fairly recent thread (active as of today) you can find with a little searching...can't remember which section.

Good luck.

I remember Ziggmeister's post about the relume job he did on the Cousteau. He said that it was one of the most difficult he ever did.... and mind you, we're talking about the undisputed master of reluming...

I strongly suggest you practice on something else before you board this ship....

I recently bought my 2006 Cousteau Divers from bigbigwatch.com. The watch quality is great but dial lume is poor. I have ordered a superluminova set from RC Tritec and will receive the parcel within two weeks.

I am planning to relume the dial but dont know if is recommendable to remove the hour markers from dial (scratching glueing points from behind if available). The markers could be inserted in solvent to remove the old lume, and there is no risk of scratching the dial. The difficult part will be placing the markers again.

By the other hand, removing the old lume with markers in their place could result in total disaster, i mean loose markers, dial scratches, markers damage....

Suggestions will be appreciated.

My suggestion is...don't touch anything!!!