When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V2 Top Gun Ceramic

lanikai

The V2 TG Ceramic.. has been released,.. by another maker.. supposedly better Quality than the first..

As I will attest to the V1 from genuine as sample was not quite up to par..

I'll do a comparison review.. of the V1 to V2

http://www.jpc8118.com/0000000000000000iwp...blk-p-6582.html

A~C

Lani

Thanks Lani... though I may have to pull the trigger on this already... :p

Any info as to whether the case-side Top Gun engraving & dial is better?

This is actually being done by another maker.... and is "supposed" to be of better all around Quality.... it's hard to discern with the images if the markers are the glued on blocks or otherwise...

the case back is still ss and not Ti... We'll have to wait for comparisons to the original rep.. B)

A~C

L

This is actually being done by another maker.... and is "supposed" to be of better all around Quality.... it's hard to discern with the images if the markers are the glued on blocks or otherwise...

the case back is still ss and not Ti... We'll have to wait for comparisons to the original rep.. B)

A~C

L

Alright mate... ;)

I never knew that the V1 caseback is also ss... and yeah.. somehow, the images suck! :lol:

A~C

L

Another dealer told me the case back of the previous version was titanium, but you have the watch! Josh's site says SS though, as it does for this new version :(

Well at least that SS caseback keeps me from the poor house.

tag for review....

Darn You !!!!

it was your review/lovely pics of the V1 that made me get a V1, now i have to start saving again ??!! B)

ah...such is rep life........

Rep life will probably mean you need to make a watch out of both V1 and V2 :(

The only way to be sure is .. I will recieve the V2.. which for those who missed the version that came out last year.. 2007.. that was a ss case back..

the 2008 V1 .. I posted this on the other thread..

Sorry guy's I may stand corrected to the correction...

the dealers site say's ss.. but I have never seen ss to be as dark as this case back is... it is the same colour as the crown and pushers.. which is definately Ti..

so after looking long and hard I would have to say the case back is in fact Ti.. B)

so.. when I recieve the newest version.. I will determine 100 regarding the case back.. but I have a feeling the V1 maker got the specs mixed up as the V1 2008 version (the last one out) has a Ti case back.. the colour is just to dark to be ss..

L

I guess that explains why I got a message from Angus this morning about a clearance sale on the current Top Gun.

Is that to compete with this new one's price or an admission that the new one is better, so old stock gets sold? I would guess perhaps only the Borg Collective have access to this new version for now... and Angus is putting up a competitive price.

Edited by Chronus

hmm interesting. only thing again is the lack of that greyish ring around the 12 and 6 subdials as per gen.

there is actually the ring around the 12 and 6 sub dials ..

they react to light.. I believe the macros I took show that effect.

at times they appear black and in the reflective light .. grey..

I was told that the crystal (AR) on the newest version may be weaker.. but I have already had mine redone by chief.

Remember this V2 is by a totally different maker

the first version was not done up to standards.. so I believe the dealers looked for another maker to redo the TG.

A~C

Lani

I was told that the crystal (AR) on the newest version may be weaker.. but I have already had mine redone by chief.

the first version was not done up to standards.. so I believe the dealers looked for another maker to redo the TG.

A~C

Lani

I've looked at the post, and just to summarize, the weak points were:

-crooked dial markers and dust (possibly from lume or glue on the markers);

-poor rep strap/possible lugholes incorrect position - biggest tell it is not genuine;

-sticker on caseback of "Top Gun" much like the Cousteau's wood;

-case-side engraving of "Top Gun" (but quite well done?).

Edited by Chronus

The V2 TG Ceramic.. has been released,.. by another maker.. supposedly better Quality than the first..

As I will attest to the V1 from genuine as sample was not quite up to par..

Is it just me, or is every high-priced new rep "made from a genuine watch as sample" ?

Interesting... Josh has also dropped the price of the other version...

I guess someone with a good relationship with Josh could ask him about the differences between the two versions... All I see are blued screws, but haven't really looked yet... gotta work :(

Edited by Chronus

A~C

Lani

will check that through again,

thanks lani

I've looked at the post, and just to summarize, the weak points were:

-crooked dial markers and dust (possibly from lume or glue on the markers);

-poor rep strap/possible lugholes incorrect position - biggest tell it is not genuine;

-sticker on caseback of "Top Gun" much like the Cousteau's wood;

-case-side engraving of "Top Gun" (but quite well done?).

Oddly enough, I would say that it's one of the better IWC reps out of the box

-My dial is and has remained dust free and the markers are straight.

-the rep strap is indeed stiff and generally high in suckage, but the gen is not that special...mines on a white stitched/black 22/22 leather now.

-it's a sticker underneath glass, which is i believe the same as gen, though the gen might well be sapphire

-laser engraving doesn't look bad, but might be a bit scrappy compared side by side to gen....

on the plus side

- excellent, almost colorless AR

- excellent day/date wheels

- very accurate dial texture and color with nice quality printing, captures the slightly sheeny and raised numerals very nicely

- accurate shape /color hands

- smooth winding crown with accurate hidden threading.

- grey rings or not...The gen I've seen had gloss black rings that appear grey when the light hits them from above, they were not printed grey.

- it is missing the faint concentric circles on the 12 and 6 subdials

- titanium pushers and crown..i honestly can't tell if they are or if they're SS. The gen I saw had duller grey pushers and crown than the rep.

- er that's it

looking forward to your review of the V2