When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I messed up the crown on a ETA 2824

JohnDorian

First time taking apart a watch. I thought the crown was retained by a spring pusher thing near the stem. I pushed down on that and pulled the crown out and it seemed to come out okay. Now that I have it back in, it seems to just fall out instead of stopping when I pull out. :(

Suggestions?

What did you use to push the release button? Same thing happened to me . You either pushed the button in too far or pulled the crown stem out in the wrong posistion. Use the search and find bazzs guide to keyless works and follow the tutorial... Worked for me twice in two different screw ups to the keyless works

There might also be a link on repgeek and this site. It may seem intimidating at first but just follow the pictures and try to grasp the technical info best you can, dont hesitate to post back any questions here if somethings not working out for ya

fyi for future: only use 1.20mm driver to release stem and pull out stem in manual wind pos

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

Easy fix, but you have to remove the hands, dial, datewheel and plate covering the keyless works. Usually it's the set lever that has to be massaged back into place; not difficult to fix by any means, but it does help to be familiar with removing these parts.

If I have some time later, I'll do a photo tutorial on the procedure...

Had a spare 2836 laying around- While not the same caliber, the basics should be the same.

Movement sans dial:

IMG_4576.jpg

Remove the datewheel:

IMG_4583.jpg

Just press this little spring and line up the teeth to the slot on the cover below:

IMG_4583a.jpg

Without datewheel- Again... Here's the little spring holding the datewheel in tension:

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4570a.jpg

For a 2836, the set levers will be exposed once the datewheel is lifted off (I don't recall ofhand if this is the same for the 2824; I don't have one on hand to compare and it's been a while since I worked with one). What you'll want to look for specifically is whether either of these levers are out of place:

IMG_4572.jpg

IMG_4572a.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4575a.jpg

Simply re-align the one that is off, and test fit the stem to make sure that it catches. Be sure to note that moving forward, you should always use a 1.2mm screwdriver to press the release, otherwise you risk pressing the button in too far and causing the same problem.