When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's with the sport models?

brucesreps

I've noticed since I have been coming to RG and RWG that most of the Rolex models I have been seeing are the sport models...... Submariner, Sea Dweller, Explorer, GMT, Yachtmaster, Daytona. WTF? Where are the Cellini and the dress models like the Datejust or Day-date? And even Air King! I rarely see these pop up anymore. I want to see some dressy Rolex eye candy!

"Where are the Cellini and the dress models like the Datejust or Day-date? And even Air King! I rarely see these pop up anymore."

I like the rolex 1016, DJ, OPD, and AK best of all. "Bezel watches" like the GMT, submariner etc never seemed to me to qualify as "sport watches" because they are bigger and the bezels hang on pockets etc and can get knocked off during rough use/sports.

Rolexophiles call the GMT, submariner etc "tool watches" and I believe that may be a better name for them as they are suited to a particular use...submariner for diving/under water work etc and the GMT for travel because it is a timezone watch. Recreational diving is a "sport" of course but submariner lore claims they were made for underwater work with Comex etc, not recreational diving.

One exception is the Milgauss because it is a tool watch that looks like a dress watch.

All the watches mentioned above would have to be vintage rolex watches with acrylic crystals because all modern sapphire crystal rolex watches with applied markers on the dial, blind lug holes etc are "jewelry watches" as far as I am concerned. The only rolex made today that resembles the original rolex "tool watch" much at all is the 14060M because it still has pierced lugs and stamped sheet metal hoods and clasp.

Sapphire crystals and applied markers are not my style but the 14060M is as close as you can get to a rolex diver "tool watch" today. The new MG is also a good try except for the fancy bracelet and blind lug holes.

The James Bond submariner was a mistake according to recent research:

http://www.jamesbondwatches.com/

The movie producer Albert Broccoli supposedly supplied the first JB submariner to Sean Connery because it was all they had but the research indicates the JB rolex should have been a 1016 explorer, not a submariner.

I made a "1016" project watch out of parts...16234 case, GS PA464-64C crystal (rolex 22 clone), bezel cut to fit the crystal, Yuki dial, rolex 1520 hack movement etc and have worn it more than any rolex (genuine or imagined) I have ever owned.

So far, I got one compliment on it..."That's a nice Seiko".

"Where are the Cellini and the dress models like the Datejust or Day-date? And even Air King! I rarely see these pop up anymore."

I like the rolex 1016, DJ, OPD, and AK best of all. "Bezel watches" like the GMT, submariner etc never seemed to me to qualify as "sport watches" because they are bigger and the bezels hang on pockets etc and can get knocked off during rough use/sports.

Rolexophiles call the GMT, submariner etc "tool watches" and I believe that may be a better name for them as they are suited to a particular use...submariner for diving/under water work etc and the GMT for travel because it is a timezone watch. Recreational diving is a "sport" of course but submariner lore claims they were made for underwater work with Comex etc, not recreational diving.

One exception is the Milgauss because it is a tool watch that looks like a dress watch.

All the watches mentioned above would have to be vintage rolex watches with acrylic crystals because all modern sapphire crystal rolex watches with applied markers on the dial, blind lug holes etc are "jewelry watches" as far as I am concerned. The only rolex made today that resembles the original rolex "tool watch" much at all is the 14060M because it still has pierced lugs and stamped sheet metal hoods and clasp.

Sapphire crystals and applied markers are not my style but the 14060M is as close as you can get to a rolex diver "tool watch" today. The new MG is also a good try except for the fancy bracelet and blind lug holes.

The James Bond submariner was a mistake according to recent research:

http://www.jamesbondwatches.com/

The movie producer Albert Broccoli supposedly supplied the first JB submariner to Sean Connery because it was all they had but the research indicates the JB rolex should have been a 1016 explorer, not a submariner.

I made a "1016" project watch out of parts...16234 case, GS PA464-64C crystal (rolex 22 clone), bezel cut to fit the crystal, Yuki dial, rolex 1520 hack movement etc and have worn it more than any rolex (genuine or imagined) I have ever owned.

So far, I got one compliment on it..."That's a nice Seiko".

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Not Dell Deaton...

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Nothing short of a visit from the spirit of Ian Fleming is going to convince me that the watch mentioned in OHMSS was anything other than the prototype Submariner (before it was branded a Submariner) That was, as described, a "Rolex Oyster Perpetual". Fleming described Bonds other vices in so much branded detail, I can't believe that he would miss the chance to 'name-drop' Explorer. Sure, he might have mentioned to a friend that he was considering using the same model watch as he wore himself, but, that doesn't mean he didn't change his mind while writing...

"Nothing short of a visit from the spirit of Ian Fleming is going to convince me that the watch mentioned in OHMSS was anything other than the prototype Submariner (before it was branded a Submariner)..."

I have proof!

Back when I had a genuine 6538, James Bond would not give me the time of day.

...but since I made the "1016" out of odds and ends, he has stopped by every Saturday evening for a drink and to talk about watches.

Every week just before he leaves, he looks at my watch, smiles, and says "Nice Seiko". :good:

Just for fun...

I did not care much about watches when I was a kid but there used to be some cool cars around the neighborhood:

A guy out the street had a late 1950s Rolls Royce SC and we had a cat that was attracted to it for some strange reason. I had to walk out to their house every few days and bring him home.

Another guy had a red Austin-Healey 3000. He was friendly and always working on it.

And my favorite was a silver/gray Aston Martin DB5 coupe but the owner stared me down and would not allow me to get close to it.

A friend had an MG TC with right hand drive...and a Cushman scooter (he had to have something to get around on).

What did I have back then?

A 1964 750 Norton Atlas. King Kong could not start it on a cold day.

...and a black 1961 Chevrolet Impala SS with a 348, three 2 barrels, and a 4 speed. Black with red interior, first year for the SS, about 450 were made.

I was a kid and did not know what I had. Worked every day after school to make payments. The next year I had a 1962 Chevrolet Bel Air with a 409, two 4 barrels, and 4 speed...same story.

A friend had a white 1962 Pontiac Catalina with a SD 421, two four barrels, 4 speed, and aluminum hood, bumper, fenders etc...it would be worth a fortune now.

He married one of the hottest girls in town and immediately dropped out of circulation...he probably drives a Camry now.

What is around the neighborhood today? (I still live in the same house).

Mostly Ford/GMC/Chevrolet monstrosities, Accords, Acuras, Camrys, a Lexus or two, and maybe a Volvo or BMW. A guy up the road has two RR (one all black with square headlights and one tutone black/silver with round headlights), plus a late model black Corvette, and a Ferrari of some sort but he will not come to the door and the place is fenced in with a big black dog running loose. Word is he is from "up north" and is not very friendly. The RRs have not moved in over a year and he mostly drives a Chevrolet Avalanche (probably out hunting RR parts).

I'd like to have a RR with a big block Chevrolet engine in it...a Hot Rod Snobmobile. A friend had a Chevrolet powered Jaguar a while back and it was pretty cool.

What kind of motorcycle do I have now?

2007 Kawasaki KLX 650.

What kind of car?

A Camry of course. :p

"Nothing short of a visit from the spirit of Ian Fleming is going to convince me that the watch mentioned in OHMSS was anything other than the prototype Submariner (before it was branded a Submariner)..."

I have proof!

Back when I had a genuine 6538, James Bond would not give me the time of day.

...but since I made the "1016" out of odds and ends, he has stopped by every Saturday evening for a drink and to talk about watches.

Every week just before he leaves, he looks at my watch, smiles, and says "Nice Seiko". :good:

That's James for you :D