When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got 7K to spend on a gen

Samurai

Have you thought about a SS Daytona? 116520? I've seen a few going for around 8k$ (6k euro) lately! Remember a while back when it was hard to get one for 9-10k euro!

That's a good one!

Re-reading the original post, if you want something with wrist presence, you can probably pick up a Girard-Perregeaux Seahawk 2 in titanium with power reserve. That's unlikely to get repped properly anytime soon. There are decent prices on used ones I think.

here's a review:

www.thewatchquote.com/Girard-Perregaux-Sea-Hawk-II-Pro-No_4225.htm

According to this site, it's 4,444 Euros (but you can probably find good condition ones at cheaper prices used):

www.sunnywatches.com/watches/girard-perregaux/sea-hawk-ii-49905-11-651-hdba.html?utm_campaign=Google

There are great pics on an old TZ sales thread:

forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=4248032&rid=0

History of the SeaHawk:

quicklook.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/ti-351642/

It's 44mm and definitely looks like it has wrist presence :tu:

Edited by Chronus

Some very good advice in this thread. I particularly like Kruzer's input. The Red sub is getting veeeerrrrrry appealing right now. And I absolutely love the 312 as well (and find it hard to believe that 233s are out there for $7K ?!?). A second hand 233 in that price range is a no brainer, of course.

Some good choices in that price range. Hard to go wrong.

i love IWC, so my opinion will be biased. but i'm a BIG fan of the second hand market. a Port Chrono 3714 (7750 based) can be had for $4k and an Ingy 3227 in the $3500 range. Both watches are iconic in status and can be easily flipped or traded. if you are looking at an Aquatimer, I'd hold out and look for a 3536, the older 2000m model with the rotating outer bezel. the inner bezel models don't hold their value as well.

if you're more of a Pam guy, a gen 104 or 164 can be found second hand for $4-4.5K and a gen 111 or 112 for $3.5K. You can even find used Daylights for less than $6K.

I'd buy a couple high quality gens with the $7K and enjoy twice the pleasure.

You can even find used Daylights for less than $6K.

I'll attest to that, my business partner asked me to find him a secondhand 196, which I did and bought for him last month, $5,500 from watchexpo.com in Newport Beach, Cali. They specialize in pre-owned. Check them out, a lot of good inventory.

Edit: BTW, I was able to bid them down from their asking price.

You wont find a 233 for $7k. You wont find one for $8k either.

I got lucky when I bought mine. A 233K series, 4 months old which needed a little TLC ($400 bezel replacement!) for $8600 USD.

Let me repeat myself. I was lucky!.

I check the value of this watch on the various sale forums on a weekly basis (to keep up to date) and this is what I can see.

233I - $8500-$9000

233J - $9000-$9500

233K - $9500-$10500

If you can save a little more and buy a 233, i'd try and aim for a J series and up as I have read of a couple issues (minor) with the 233I.