When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3717 advice please

rps

Hi guys

Seems like I'm smitten with the 3717. I can't stop cruising the forums (rep and gen) searching for more and more images of this awesome watch

I keep missing out on some amazing modded pieces being offered for sale, so unless some kind soul sees this post as the thinly-veiled WTB it so obviously is, what can you IWC buffs suggest my best course of action should be?

Best base watch?

What mods to perform?

Who to do those mods (and approx costs)?

Suggestions for leather straps (and pics please!)?

Thanks in advance

rps

Best base watch? The early Eddie Lee V1

What mods to perform? Double AR, Swiss movement, ETA day and date wheels, lume job.

Who to do those mods (and approx costs)? Chieftang for the AR, Vac or the Zigmeister for the rest. appox. $300

Suggestions for leather straps (and pics please!)? Go Kevlar

replicawatches085.jpg

Found this in another topic,

V1: correct lume (just in 3/6/9/12 markers) but crooked markers though. Poor AR

V2: incorrect lume (all markers) - missing sub-dials rings (little step down) - better double AR

V3: correct lume - aligned markers - double AR

In all models DW (day/date) must be replaced by genuine ETA.

Guest asim

The V1 is hard to get hold off these days. Get the V3 which most dealers have. Get the glass AR'd by Chieftang, let the movement be serviced by the Zigmeister and let him change the datewheels to ETA ones.

As for strap, well the list is endless depending on how you want to wear it. The bracelet is an awesome replica of the gen and the straps obviously have endless choice.

Why is a V1 better than V3?
All about personal preference I guess.

With either one, you are going to want to do the DW replacement and AR at a minimum. If you find an early v1 with the 21.6k movement in it, the hands swap directly without modification to an ETA. Some people thing the dial is a little better on the v1, assuming you find one without crooked markers.

And of course, since you can't get a v1 brand new anymore, finding a used one on one of the boards will cost you less for the base watch. That's a little help towards the cost if you are planning on doing lots of mods.

If you are not planning on modding it into 'super rep' status, then just go with the v3. Wear it proudly until you send it off for your first service, have your watchmaker swap in the ETA datewheels at the same time, and be done.

IMO mods to the 3717 should be done in the following order:

1) Datewheels

2) AR

3) Lume

4) Gen 7750 (or one of concepta's gen IWC movements)

I still think the best looking modded 3717 I have seen pics of is Chief's.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=582881

All about personal preference I guess.

With either one, you are going to want to do the DW replacement and AR at a minimum. If you find an early v1 with the 21.6k movement in it, the hands swap directly without modification to an ETA. Some people thing the dial is a little better on the v1, assuming you find one without crooked markers.

And of course, since you can't get a v1 brand new anymore, finding a used one on one of the boards will cost you less for the base watch. That's a little help towards the cost if you are planning on doing lots of mods.

If you are not planning on modding it into 'super rep' status, then just go with the v3. Wear it proudly until you send it off for your first service, have your watchmaker swap in the ETA datewheels at the same time, and be done.

IMO mods to the 3717 should be done in the following order:

1) Datewheels

2) AR

3) Lume

4) Gen 7750 (or one of concepta's gen IWC movements)

I still think the best looking modded 3717 I have seen pics of is Chief's.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=582881

tomhorn is right on the money.

Your strap is awesome, where did you get it?

I have one for sale at $235 with a minor issue if you are thinking of having it service then you would save $50+shipping when purchase from the dealer. Mine is like brand new and spotless condition. I am thinking of sending it back to the dealer after tomorrow. check the for sale section for the for sale post.

I thought V3 is better than V1, am i wrong?

tomhorn is right on the money.

Your strap is awesome, where did you get it?

I thought V3 is better than V1, am i wrong?

My strap is from Tourby. Great quality and a good price. It's a 22mm, so you have to squeeze a little, but it's fine.

3717_new_tourby_strap.jpg

As for the v1 vs v3 debate, IMO it depends on what you are planning. The v3 has double AR and many think it's good enough so it takes care of one of the upgrades. Personally I think Chief's is much better for the watch, so whether I was starting from a v1 (which I am) or a v3, that really doesn't matter because it's getting a Chief treatment either way. The only other knock to the v1 was the dial markers and mine are fine, so non-issue there for me too.

IMO, if someone wants to do all four of the mods I mentioned in my post, they should try to find a v1 with a 21.6k A7750 in it. A tough search, no doubt, but with the 21.6k movement the hands are a straight ETA 7750 swap. With the 28.8k movement your watchmaker has to do a little more work. Some can, some can't.

If you're not going to do the movement swap then it doesn't really matter IMO. Just stay away from the v2 as the lume is all wrong.

Edited by tomhorn