When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Google to take on Windows

Chronus

Will Google destroy Mickeysoft? Or will they go the way of the Mac and be a niche and fanboy product?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8139711.stm

I believe that would be the latter too.

There's an old saying in my country but the bottom line, no matter how big/how good you are, there is always room for mistake.

This is a potential room of mistake on Google's part. Let us see and remind me about this thread again next year.

That is good news. I have been using Chrome on and off for a while. I just decided this week to use it exclusively however. IE8 has been running very slow and when a new windows opens half the time it doesn't even load. I like the simplicity of chrome and if their OS is just as simple, it will be well received.

I hate Vista but feel trapped into it since it is hard to find any new machine with XP installed. I don't even use 80% of the features of Vista. I feel Microsoft is on a downward spiral especially with those stupid commercials where they pay for someone's PC and that annoying woman screaming "whaaaaaat". For a company that has such a huge piece of the market you would think they would have the brains and money to design a decent marketing campaign.

IMO any attempt by Google to do an OS will be a niche play for a long while.

Corporate users won't switch from MS to a new OS until it has proven itself for years, and without corporate users, the mainstream public won't switch. Most people use the same OS as they do at work because they don't want to have to learn two. Linux still hasn't taken off in the corporate world on the desktop and it probably never will show up in many home PC's.

When Windows 7 is finally released you will see most corporations switch from XP to Windows 7, as the smart one's never adopted Vista. That will lead to home upgrades as well.

On servers, netbooks, and phones Google has a much better chance to be difference makers from an OS perspective, IMO. Given what they have done with their architecture, I'm surprised Google hasn't released a branded OS for servers yet.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I think it's great to have some high-profile competition. Hopefully this gives Mickeysoft the kick up the ar*e that they've been needing to produce something worthwhile rather than bloatware like Vista. I'm not going to upgrade OS or get a new computer until at least the new Windows is out later this year.

I'm thinking of dual-booting one of my computers with Linux to see how it is. I've heard good things about the current Ubuntu build.. and of course it's free :) If Google is free as well, it may stand a chance because of their marketing muscle, but progress will be slow. Apple costs too much for the majority to want to try it out.

I tend to use Chrome as well, but it wouldn't work on my Win2k machine, so I use a combination of Opera, Firefox and IE on that one... the XP machines use Chrome most of the time :tu: Very rare occasions I will put on Firefox or IE (in that order).

The article mentions that Google's Chrome OS is aimed more at those who use their machines for web-browsing...

I agree that it will most likely be a niche market. Corporations will never adopt it. I very highly doubt that the Google OS will have any of the exchange functionality that the corps like to rely so heavily on.

But I agree it is always good to have a little healthy competition out there for MS to deal with. Linux is so rock solid and with the Mac OS being based on that, it is superb. And I have to say, I have XP running on my 13" Macbook and this is the smoothest running windows system I have ever used! It is un-real!!

Has anyone run or use Win7 yet? I have since the last Beta and the RC version......and I'm totally impressed!

Has anyone installed/run Win2008 Server yet? I have and it's way much better than the other Version's!

IMHO!

Anyone who thinks this is aimed at Microsoft is missing the point. Microsoft have shown a demonstrable lack of interest in the Netbook sector, as have Apple. The target for this OS is Ubuntu.

Google want to leverage netbooks to put more adverts in front of people, as that is their business. If they do so by providing a slicker and more friendly method than Ubuntu, then it's a victory on both sides.

Microsoft have nothing to fear and nothing to gain by even entering this market as it's a market that has stated very loudly that they do not want to spend money, something Microsoft likes its customers to do.

Apple has nothing to fear because they have the iPhone at one end and the MacBook at the other. The middle ground is of no interest to them, either. Apple have shown what they consider a Netbook: the not-cheap MacBook Air.

Google are the only people in any position to make any money out of Netbooks by using them as an advertising vector. Couple cloud-based Google Apps with their Chrome browser on top of a Linux kernel and they have something they can do cheaply and efficiently with little effort.

Linux is so rock solid and with the Mac OS being based on that, it is superb.

Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD Userland on top of a Mach kernel. No Linux was used. FreeBSD is a Unix, like Linux, which is where the confusion arises.

You think Linux is solid? Take a look at FreeBSD. Two-year uptimes are the norm.

Mac OSX is based on FreeBSD Userland on top of a Mach kernel. No Linux was used. FreeBSD is a Unix, like Linux, which is where the confusion arises.

You think Linux is solid? Take a look at FreeBSD. Two-year uptimes are the norm.

Good to see you around!

Would you recommend using FreeBSD over Linux and Mac OSX ?

Would you recommend using FreeBSD over Linux and Mac OSX ?

For a headless server in a datacentre, most likely, yes. As a desktop OS, not a chance.

For a desktop, Mac all the way. Mac OSX is the most advanced desktop operating system available.

Obviously, for games, I'd be on Windows, but these days most gamers are on consoles, and Microsoft cleverly switched their attention there already.

Linux is best for Netbooks and embedded devices, and as my job is managing Linux servers, I'd have to say it's damned good for servers, too.

My brother uses Mythbuntu to run his HTPC, whereas I use a Mac Mini. The reason for our varied choices? Budget, plain and simple.

For a headless server in a datacentre, most likely, yes. As a desktop OS, not a chance.

For a desktop, Mac all the way. Mac OSX is the most advanced desktop operating system available.

Obviously, for games, I'd be on Windows, but these days most gamers are on consoles, and Microsoft cleverly switched their attention there already.

Linux is best for Netbooks and embedded devices, and as my job is managing Linux servers, I'd have to say it's damned good for servers, too.

My brother uses Mythbuntu to run his HTPC, whereas I use a Mac Mini. The reason for our varied choices? Budget, plain and simple.

A (Swedish) programmer I know is a big fan of Linux.. he despises Windows! He's part of the reason I want to try out Linux and see how it is. It's supposed to run faster than Windows at least, but that's not saying much ?

You're right about budgets... I'm not getting any Macs anytime soon jut because it's so expensive, as well as for gaming... I am not a big fan of console gaming in terms of first person shooters, I still prefer keyboard and mouse for that. Some games are great on consoles and others are great on PCs (the aforemention FPS's, real time strategy games, Football Manager for example). Consoles are great for sports games and suchlike... shows how far behind I am, I bought a PS2 at the start of last year ;)

I guess variety and choice is great.

Here's hoping Google is successful in making a great OS, and hope MS put in some real effort... we always complain about QC with our reps, what about MS taking the mickey?

Has anyone run or use Win7 yet? I have since the last Beta and the RC version......and I'm totally impressed!

Has anyone installed/run Win2008 Server yet? I have and it's way much better than the other Version's!

IMHO!

I've used both Windows 7 and Server R2 prerelease editions and have also been impressed with both -- a few gaps in drivers from hardware manufacturers early on in the beta, but those gaps have been filled.