When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My FIrst Modding Project - Homage Pam!

hiker01

Well, there's always a time in our collector's life that we get ambitious, and this is mine! I thought, hey; "If I could work on Computer Hardware, Cars and most mechanical equipment, I could do this......at least I have to try, and here's the product! I was so excited and at times frustrated that I didn't even take any pictures of the breakdown and assembly......sorry!

The base watch was purchased from Getstat, HK. About the base watch? Not the best of quality (what can one expect for $90, right?). The screw for the lugs were all loose and I lost two of them. After I removed the movement and re-inserted the crown/stem, the keyless assembly popped out......no worries here koz I have to take out the dial anyway........I tell you, I now appreciate our watch maker/watchsmith here (The Zigmeister/Vaccum/Francisco/?), putting back together the keyless assembly was an exercise in patience, specially with someone who did it the first time, but after about half an hour of sweat (maybe some tears), I did it.......I would like to thank all members who have posted pictures of the movement here (A6497) koz without those as my guide.....I would have thrown it out and be done with it!

Mods:

Relume with Glow, Inc. ultra blue. I spray spainted the base dail backing with flat white before I applied the Lume.

I aged the dial slightly by wiping it with mineral spirit and then soaking it in soapy water for 30 mins. then wipe it

hard with a shammy in a swirling direction.

Replaced all rubber o-rings and greased! Passed the 2ft./30 min. dunk!

Anyho, here's the finished product:

homage.jpg

homage1.jpg

homage2.jpg

homage3.jpg

homage4.jpg

homage5.jpg

The customary wristie:

homage8.jpg

The lume (the hands are stock - I don't have the guts to do that yet):

homage9.jpg

Lume picture with the product used:

homage10.jpg

with my new California Homage:

homage7.jpg

Oh and our new puppy sleeping on top of my daughter's chest (can't resist this, so cute!):

simbagab.jpg

A collage:

homagecollage.jpg

Anyone who's got some spare base dial and hands and who wants to donate them for the next project, hey, I'll take them :D !

Thanks for looking!

Hike

WOW!!!!!

that's amazing for under 100$

the pvd case actually looks awesome, not that shiny crapp..

is the strap from getat too hike? or one that you already had?

im realllllllly tempted to get all the parts for a fiddy homage pvd from getstat.... and all under 120$!!

thanks for the pics :)

Edited by astrograph

Love it!!! You are ready to open up shop as our next modder

WOW!!!!!

that's amazing for under 100$

the pvd case actually looks awesome, not that shiny crapp..

is the strap from getat too hike? or one that you already had?

im realllllllly tempted to get all the parts for a fiddy homage pvd from getstat.... and all under 120$!!

thanks for the pics :)

Strap is an old Bob I already have.......do it if you're ready.....I'm glad I did!

Nice work!

You know, the PAM type projects are always the best to start with as the 6497 movement is very easy to work with :) Great platform to get your feet wet.

So, what's the next project planned?

:)

R-! Thanks! I completely agree......I guess I could try the rollie type movements next, but I enjoyed playing with the 6497.

Next project.......nothing concrete yet. I have to get more parts. Thinking of making some colorfull dial or a combo! Also planning to try the Ultra Green Lume on the next project and maybe doing the lume on the hands.....will see.

Right now, I have another 6497 with Swan that I got from a member with a Popped keyless assembly, so I'll work on that tonite whenits quite!

That really is a fantastic project, bro, kudos indeed :good::1a:

T! Thanks bro! What a fun way to spend the summer! :D

Love it!!! You are ready to open up shop as our next modder

Thanks! I dont know about opening up shop! Maybe when I retire! :D

you should make a PVD all blackout fiddy homage... with the pvd color movt. ( do you know if it's really pvd or just pvd color for the movt.)

then sell it to me :p

I actually have one of those on a Cali Homage, and it just look like a blackened steel......it doesn't look like PVD to me!

But your suggested project should be an easy one if I could find a 1950 PVD Case from Getstat....I'll check!

I actually have one of those on a Cali Homage, and it just look like a blackened steel......it doesn't look like PVD to me!

But your suggested project should be an easy one if I could find a 1950 PVD Case from Getstat....I'll check!

they have it ;)

that's why i recommended it lol!

i'm waiting to hear back from them.... to see if it's realllllly a pvd'ed movt. (i doubt it)

i emailed them regarding the PVD movements....asking if it's really PVD or just paint.

this is what i got back:

Hello,

That is really PVD GUN colour. Not PVD black colour. The gun colour is like a metallic black. It is more glossy and not matte finished.

And it is produced by movement factory directly. Not we paint it.

Regards,

Getat Watch CO.

im not sure what that exactly means, so i guess it IS color and not really PVD?

Edited by astrograph

Very nice watch, and a great mod that turned out just great!

Now since, I am slowly getting the fever...I am now wanting to get an homage too! A curious question now:

Where can I buy the lume used by hike? What is it called? Brand name or generic?I intend to get an homage, and then rework the lume just like he did.

Many thanks!

Nice job.

To me, this is really the fun part of collecting reps. I would never mod one of my gens but I have over the years done a lot of work on my various reps, increasing my skills and trying new tricks every time. If I fail (and sure enough I have) it's not the end of the world. I pick up the pieces and start all over again.

Now since, I am slowly getting the fever...I am now wanting to get an homage too! A curious question now:

Where can I buy the lume used by hike? What is it called? Brand name or generic?I intend to get an homage, and then rework the lume just like he did.

Many thanks!

Follow the link : http://glowinc.com/

wow... nice and neat watch u built here!

p.s. ur avatar is so..yummy, i mean the watches! kakaka..

Kudo's Hike.

I really like the Homage dials.

Great work. Great photo's...as usual.

i emailed them regarding the PVD movements....asking if it's really PVD or just paint.

this is what i got back:

Hello,

That is really PVD GUN colour. Not PVD black colour. The gun colour is like a metallic black. It is more glossy and not matte finished.

And it is produced by movement factory directly. Not we paint it.

Regards,

Getat Watch CO.

im not sure what that exactly means, so i guess it IS color and not really PVD?

Nice work Hike!

Nice work ! Congrats.

Many thanks!

Nice job.

To me, this is really the fun part of collecting reps. I would never mod one of my gens but I have over the years done a lot of work on my various reps, increasing my skills and trying new tricks every time. If I fail (and sure enough I have) it's not the end of the world. I pick up the pieces and start all over again.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the compliments and chub says it nicely!