When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 3717 returns... With a little help from some friends

ubiquitous

Wait..is that mine? Because it is at the shop having the same loving done to it....looks great.

Nope...I think it's mine, the only difference is my gen dial and hands are going on a gen movement and the crystal is from Takashi with gen-like AR 8)

It's great to see so many wonderful frankens of this amazing and perfectly designed pilot watch! I've said it before, but it bears repeating: this watch has a flawless aesthetic design and has a huge range of compatible fashion, from jeans and a t-shirt on a buffalo, kevlar, or bund strap, to suit and tie with the black croc or bracelet. I'm so glad to have one again!!!

Edited by cronsell

Nope...I think it's mine, the only difference is my gen dial and hands are going on a gen movement and the crystal is from Takashi with gen-like AR 8)

It's great to see so many wonderful frankens of this amazing and perfectly designed pilot watch! I've said it before, but it bears repeating: this watch has a flawless aesthetic design and has a huge range of compatible fashion, from jeans and a t-shirt on a buffalo, kevlar, or bund strap, to suit and tie with the black croc or bracelet. I'm so glad to have one again!!!

I

When it all comes back, I'll let you know, Red...

;)

Please do Ubi. Just need to get Chief crystal and day/date swap and I am good. Love this watch, but only wanted it with either a gen or v1 dial. And v1 from The Zigmeister? PLEASE PM!

Thanks, and this watch looks amazing in person. A co-worker has a gen and the bracelet really helps it transition from the office to the client dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

ubi i got the same mod as urs.. except mine doesnt have a eta7750 in it. even though i do have a spare one lying around somewhere... but just wondering tho.. i bought my 3717 from eddie lee about 2 yrs ago for $400 or so.. and i noticed the cartels are selling it for 270.. what are the main diff? i mean EL was telling me when i bought it that his is "built better".. but until today im still not convinced that EL's better... why are ppl willing to pay big prices for it?

I know for sure that EL's oiginal 100 was the first to be produced. There are some slight differences most certainly with the dial (markers/lume), and possibly with things like the case back, overall finising, engraving etc. I can't really say for sure whether these latter differences are intrinsic or even palpable by physical examination only; I've not had an EL100 and a 3rd generation example in hand to review side by side.

I can say for certain that the dials are different, and this may or may not be the selling point. The original EL100 is easier/better for relume work due to the construction of the luminous markers. The V3 is more problematic as the markers are applied differently, and stand to risk more damage to the dial upon removal.

Aside from that, I am not certain if there are any major differences with case or bracelet otherwise.

I know for sure that EL's oiginal 100 was the first to be produced. There are some slight differences most certainly with the dial (markers/lume), and possibly with things like the case back, overall finising, engraving etc. I can't really say for sure whether these latter differences are intrinsic or even palpable by physical examination only; I've not had an EL100 and a 3rd generation example in hand to review side by side.

I can say for certain that the dials are different, and this may or may not be the selling point. The original EL100 is easier/better for relume work due to the construction of the luminous markers. The V3 is more problematic as the markers are applied differently, and stand to risk more damage to the dial upon removal.

Aside from that, I am not certain if there are any major differences with case or bracelet otherwise.

oh yes i understand about the lume markers on the dial :).. i got told by zigmeister when he did the relume for me that EL version was better in terms of the dial.. but i just dont understand why eddie lee actually charged for more back in the days.. only for the fact that his dial has the right lume where as the others had the numbers lumed (what is now known as v2)?

I believe EL charged more for them, as he was the one that helped get this rep into production from the start. He was the initiator of this particular piece, and the subsequent V2 and V3 watches are a benefitting result of that initiative. If it weren't for his efforts, we might have ended up with a 3717 that wasn't quite as good as what we have now.