When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2 Rolex questions

Packard

Two questions:

1. Why does my Rolex require that I unscrew the crown to set the watch when other manufacturers do not see the need for that?

2. Is the magnification window ground in place (from a solid piece of crystal) or is it a small optic that is glued onto the crystal (or glass)?

Two questions:

1. Why does my Rolex require that I unscrew the crown to set the watch when other manufacturers do not see the need for that?

2. Is the magnification window ground in place (from a solid piece of crystal) or is it a small optic that is glued onto the crystal (or glass)?

Hi

1. The scew-in mechanism is normally required to guarantee water protection. I quote Longines: "Like the screw-down case back, it is also how the crown is constructed that plays an essential role in guaranteeing water-resistance. To facilitate setting and (for mechanical watches) winding operations, the case must incorporate an opening. This opening, however, is also a potential entry point for water or dust. To eliminate this weak point, the winding stem is inserted into a tube which, in turn, is inserted into the case. The crown then screws into the thread of the tube and gaskets are fitted to further enhance water-resistance."

2. Glued on. Can be taken of by heating the crystal which makes the glue soft.

Kind regards

Val.

Two questions:

1. That is part of the mechanism for creating water resistance.

2. It is a seperate piece of material whch is glued onto the flat surface.

Hope that answers your questions :good:

Thanks for the answers. I guessed correctly on the first, but not on the second. There seems to be too much clarity for the adhesive to be there.

It also begs the question: Why don't other manufacturers add this feature? It certainly works to make the date more visible.

Thanks for the answers. I guessed correctly on the first, but not on the second. There seems to be too much clarity for the adhesive to be there.

It also begs the question: Why don't other manufacturers add this feature? It certainly works to make the date more visible.

On the Rolexes I've had with cyclopses, they have all been glued on, which, as mentioned, can be removed by melting the glue :)

Other companies do add cyclopses... Panerai and Ulysse Nardin, for example, mount them on the inside of the crystals, so the outside remains flat (which I have to admit, is much more aesthetically pleasing than how Rolex does it... ;) )