When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Good for starting a project?

smc

I think this is the seller that used to go by the name Luenfat. Like Freddy says, you're basically experimenting. And if you had an old 1680 dial with asian dial feet, it might be as simple as changing out the dial. Of course, next is the crown- maybe just put a rep Rolex crown on. Change out the clasp to a Rolex clasp and you're there. But at the same time, you could buy a $100 Rolex rep and save yourself the time, work and possible disappointment.

I've pretty much found that these asian watches are worth about what you pay for them, i.e. not very much. Some do OK, others self destruct.

I think this is the seller that used to go by the name Luenfat. Like Freddy says, you're basically experimenting. And if you had an old 1680 dial with asian dial feet, it might be as simple as changing out the dial. Of course, next is the crown- maybe just put a rep Rolex crown on. Change out the clasp to a Rolex clasp and you're there. But at the same time, you could buy a $100 Rolex rep and save yourself the time, work and possible disappointment.

I've pretty much found that these asian watches are worth about what you pay for them, i.e. not very much. Some do OK, others self destruct.

That said, they're an excellent way of honing one's skills :) If I'd've had project failures with Swiss watches, I'd be seriously annoyed about the lost cash... At least Asians are easily affordable and relatively disposable if something goes wrong, and, if it goes to plan, then you end up with the watch intended :)

I agree 100% TeeJay, these are excellent watches to practice on. I've bought a number of these type of watches to play with and destroy myself. Might even consider one of those Explorer II's.

Look at what happened when I tried to 'bleach' my sub insert with kitchen cleaner :whistling::bangin: Wouldn't've been so bad, but I did three short soaks (about 90 seconds a time) in the intent of not doing what I've done :lol: The problem was the first two soaks, only made the insert look blue, rather than grey/black, so I thought I'd give it another go :bicycle: Next time, I'll know not to go that step too far, but as above, if I'd've done that to a WM9 quality watch, I'd probably not be so philosophical about it :lol:

I think the Explorer II would definitely be a good project watch or even parts source, as I believe they always put movements with an adjustable GMT hand in, where the GMT Master II, they can get away with the ones that only run a 24 hour sweep in synch with the main hands... As long as the parts are interchangeable, I think the possibilities are good :)