When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Silly Dilema

TitoSosa

So this is my dilema... I own some gens... the kind you see replicated but not the kind We lust about (tag, omega... that kind). But now I find myself thinking about selling them all to get a better watch... I like some Rolex, some AP, some Vacheron... well... You know wath I mean... so the dilema is this... should i sell my gens to only have one better gen? I been thinking about it and I see pros and cons... having more gens (even cheaper ones) gives me the advantage of rotating them... but also having 1 nicer gen... would give me the pleasure of a better movement... something besides ETA, a better brand... a watch that I could pass along to my son... or maybe not... and Ill find myself selling it also... hehehehe... I know that it sounds silly... but I have no idea of wich decision to make... only thing I know... its that this kind of suffering will never end :) I know a lot of You would say "So... sell them all and get 20 reps!!!" and thats not my idea... i mean... Im amazed by the level of quality of the reps seen here... but for me... it would never be the same... Ill always know... so... the reps are something apart... I love them... and Ill be buying them... but "gotta have my gens"... any advice???

The 3 Universal Axioms of Watch Collecting

1. You will never be happy with 1 watch, no matter what it is - rep or gen.

2. If you lust after a particular watch, you will never be satisfied until you get that watch.

3. Once you acquire that watch, you will lust after another.

And if you think you will outsmart Axiom 3 by trading the other watch for another, please re-read Axiom 1.

Kind of a tough spot to be in at the moment- Resale of gens is not great as the market is somewhat saturated with people selling because of the current economic environment. Given the laws of supply and demand, I'm fairly certain that you'd likely take a hit on selling each if you bought new at the AD. However, right now is a prime opportunity to pick up some gens for the very same reason- Lots of people are liquidating and to add to that, ADs are offering some good deals as well, thus driving down prices even more for the secondary market.

I'm in the same boat, except with houses. It's a great time to upgrade to a larger house, but selling the one we're currently in will mean that we will not realize the kind of equity we once had.

Agree with the guys above about you can't just have one, however, having your special crown jewels piece wouldn't be so bad now wouldn't it?

You're right, it's a wonderful thing. But since putting together this small collection, I've bought:

a vintage Doxa Pro

a vintage Doxa Sharkhunter

another LeJour Superman

another Seiko Orange Monster

a Seiko Mod custom

My conclusion? There's no such thing as a "finished" collection.

trio_sm.jpg

So this is my dilema... I own some gens... the kind you see replicated but not the kind We lust about (tag, omega... that kind). But now I find myself thinking about selling them all to get a better watch... I like some Rolex, some AP, some Vacheron... well... You know wath I mean... so the dilema is this... should i sell my gens to only have one better gen? I been thinking about it and I see pros and cons... having more gens (even cheaper ones) gives me the advantage of rotating them... but also having 1 nicer gen... would give me the pleasure of a better movement... something besides ETA, a better brand... a watch that I could pass along to my son... or maybe not... and Ill find myself selling it also... hehehehe... I know that it sounds silly... but I have no idea of wich decision to make... only thing I know... its that this kind of suffering will never end :) I know a lot of You would say "So... sell them all and get 20 reps!!!" and thats not my idea... i mean... Im amazed by the level of quality of the reps seen here... but for me... it would never be the same... Ill always know... so... the reps are something apart... I love them... and Ill be buying them... but "gotta have my gens"... any advice???

My advice would be to ask you these questions, and hopefully the answers will give you the advice you need :)

1. Are you someone who frequently rotates your watches, or do you tend to wear one particular watch the majority of the time?

2. Do any of the watches have sentimental value? ie gifts from friends/family/partners

If you don't frequently rotate your watches, and they don't have a lot of sentimental value, then I would say sell them. Another way you could look at it, is if a particular watch does have sentimental value, if you sell that watch, then it has still provided you with the money from its sale, so you could then put that towards a new watch, as money 'in the spirit of the sentimental value' :) Best of luck with making your decision, and welcome to the forum :good:

The 3 Universal Axioms of Watch Collecting

1. You will never be happy with 1 watch, no matter what it is - rep or gen.

2. If you lust after a particular watch, you will never be satisfied until you get that watch.

3. Once you acquire that watch, you will lust after another.

And if you think you will outsmart Axiom 3 by trading the other watch for another, please re-read Axiom 1.

That's very true... Even when one thinks that they're happy with a watch, eventually, the idea to mod the watch might creep in, or, another watch will become the object of 'the hunt', so the enjoyment of the original watch can wane...

hehehehe thanx for the advices.... keep them comin!!!! and yes... its a HARD call... I do rotate my watches... and im not "sentimental" about any of them... i just like them a lot hehehehe... but also like a lot of another watches... I think im no the kind of "one watch guy" so... maybe sell... buy another... and sell... and buy... and sell... and buy! :o

hehehehe thanx for the advices.... keep them comin!!!! and yes... its a HARD call... I do rotate my watches... and im not "sentimental" about any of them... i just like them a lot hehehehe... but also like a lot of another watches... I think im no the kind of "one watch guy" so... maybe sell... buy another... and sell... and buy... and sell... and buy! :o

In that case, I would say sell sell sell, buy the one you want, then, when you get bored of it, sell that one on to finance the new purchase :good:

I have to second Nanuq's advice. Never go for another version of the watch you love, even though it may seem like a way of having your grail. it won't work. That's why I've sold several Invictas in my life. If you're going to buy a watch like that, buy it because it's its own watch. Reps are different because there's modding and an hommage element to it. Get the one gen you truly truly want, but be warned, that one gen is going to give you a little farm of Gens you need to own, and then you'll have your gens and reps spawning all over the place. It's like rabbits man.