When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica, Fake, Counterfeit, Franken and now .....

Oyster

Thanks for the article auto. It was a good read.

Gonna be a quick one here, got to do lunch in a bit.

Ok, we are quite in a quandary here as we will be needing a few classification in the end since:-

Our parts come from these sources (some are exclusive):-

1) Genuine (OE)

2) Aftermarket (AE) provided a logo is not involved.

3) Imitation (Sounds better eh?)

And to further dissect the parts source:-

1) Case

- As long as there are Rolex related engravings, they are deemed copies unless removed (accuracy is another matter).

- MBK are more of a custom since they are made for other movement and require slight mods visually, again unless engravings are removed (as above but will take OE parts).

- YUKI/Phong/NDT are direct copies.

2) Dial

- Copies but not entirely accurate (Most often they are marketed as redials :good: )

3) The rest of the components could be either OE or AE to form the watch.

Quick summary:-

1) Whereby no logo are involved - Hommage

2) All genuine (some parts from different article) - Franken

3) A combination of OE/AE/Immitation -> ??? :bangin: As long as immitation parts are involved, it's going be a a little tough :whistling:

R

Well, the courts have defined the terms in Rolex vs Meece: "converted" and "enhanced"

An interesting read, thanks for the link :) I think it's funny that they (Rolex) allowed the term 'enhanced' to be used, as an enhancement is a positive change, where I'd've thought that they would be arguing that as non-gen parts were being used, it would actually be a 'downgrade' or something like that :) Scary that the guy sent the watch back without the original movement that time... Buyer beware indeed...

OK, the more I think about reps, franken & the lot, the more I like about MBW/MBK.

I'm now going to speculate on his rationale in making such a watch.

We very well know that that there are direct copies like the one Yuki/NDT/Phong is selling but MBK in my opinion is truly unique.

If we take off the bracelet and the dial, it could be very well a hommage.

Perhaps he had this in mind all along where if you'd like your MBW/MBK to be similar to a Rolex why don't you just go drill some holes bigger and shave some cg? And Wolah...

Otherwise, his design remained unique compared to the rest on the table.

What do you folks think?

R

If you can't do this legally...then what would/could anyone do with a Datejust case set and dial purchased from the bay. You can't, legally, use it with other parts...even if they are also gen...to restore a Datejust.

Unbelievable! I have some projects that are on-going because I thought that this a good hobby. Maybe it's not... (I'll keep doing it, though.)

I like to term my watches as 'bespoke' (bĭ-spōk'; An individual or custom-made product or service) when someone asks about them and wants to know the history of what was required to build, why I build, the process in putting everything together, etc. Since I build my watches for me, I think the term fits quite well...