When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Fans, What Do You Think Of This Gen?

HauteHippie

Hey, jd, if you're looking at buying a new one I think the 40th Anniversary edition moon watch with the 02:56 GMT dial would be a great choice. Released just as your soon turn one, also. It'd be a real keepsake. I'd like one myself. But of course, as you say, you can never go wrong with the traditional Speedy either.

I had thought about that, but I think I am going to go with the 3573.50 which has the display caseback. I think that would be far more interesting to a kid to see the movement than to have the GMT dial. On the other hand I could always go with the 40th Aniversary model and buy a gen display caseback for it?? Decisions...Decisions...

I've been looking for a moon display case back myself. I think the older 861 movement is a beauty to look at... but these moon display casebacks are super hard to find and super expensive.

PS, Anyone with Omega parts connections who can find a OME0524A at a reasonable price will be my new best friend. ;)

That is a sweet piece. I hope the deal works out for you. Way back when I first got into watches the speedy was my number one fav. Since getting into the rep world none can do it justice so it has not even made my list. Perhaps one day I will get a gen. Looking forward to an indepth review...

So, this didn't end well. No Moonie for Chiefy.

Paid the guy, received the watch, loved it, wore it around for half a day... then while staring at the dial under the bathroom halogens I noticed that the dial face was marked up. For whatever reason (I still don't think it was photoshop) I couldn't see the marks in the seller's photos. But they were there and it was clear that somebody had at some point used a tool to remove the sub dial hands and didn't use anything to protect the dial.

Thought it over for a day, and decided that I have no problem with a little character... Exterior scratches, wear and tear from 20 years of use: no problem. Yellowed tritium, dial patina: even better. But the dial itself just can't be scratched. It has be perfect other than signs of natural age. So back it went.

Just goes to show that no matter how many references a seller might have, no matter how active he might be on prominent forums... this can happen. The good part is that being the upstanding guy that he is, he agreed to take it back and issue a full refund upon arrival. He claims to have never noticed the marks on the dial. This I find hard to believe, but at this point ... whatever. A big disappointment for sure, but another one should be by sooner or later.

Oh well.