When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Those Pesky Daylights

StormTooper4

The PAM 196 never had recessed subdials (in the gen)... but it looks like you've stumbled across a rep that does...

The PAM 188 has sunken date wheels... but some reps did not.

Just about to post the same, confirmed what swdivad said.

Drulee I do mean the subdials in the way that your 250 has like concentric rings where the subdials are

Swdivad funnily enough I was looking at your PVD masterpiece and was tempted to post a picture of it to show the difference as your pictures show it clearly , but here is another picture of a Gen , and its Flat Dial

ob11.jpg

But my first picture is also of a gen (I think) this one

dsc01362go8.jpg

if it is someone's on RWG please chime in.

ST4

I would say the answer is "no" there has never been a 196 with recessed subdials. Here is the last year of the daylight in an I series:

http://www.essential-watches.com/Panerai-PAM00196(PAM196)-PAM-196-Luminor-Daylight-Chronograph-Black-Dial-Original-Version-(Discontinued)-18841.aspx

The watch above does look good but IMHO it is a rep. Lello datewheel (font and matte), lever on crown guard, etc. Oh and I believe I have that same dial sitting in my parts box. :lol:

8 and 10 are way off as well. Here is a gen 188 dial for comparison. It is easier to see it black on white. Truly rounded 0 on the 10 and Broader 8 which pushes all the way up to the sibdial.

DSCN0290.jpg

Can see it on a 162 (not my pic):

162cu2.jpg

The old school 196 rep Dial is also much better than the newer rep dials. I prefer to live with the longer hash mark at 6 and extra tick around 12 for the better number formation and overall layout:

IMGP1200.jpg

I would say the answer is "no" there has never been a 196 with recessed subdials. Here is the last year of the daylight in an I series:

http://www.essential-watches.com/Panerai-PAM00196(PAM196)-PAM-196-Luminor-Daylight-Chronograph-Black-Dial-Original-Version-(Discontinued)-18841.aspx

The watch above does look good but IMHO it is a rep. Lello datewheel (font and matte), lever on crown guard, etc. Oh and I believe I have that same dial sitting in my parts box. :lol:

I was looking at more pics of that watch and the caseback looks gen, but of course it might not be the same watch as in the first pic.

http://www.essential-watches.com/Panerai-PAM00196(PAM196)-PAM-196-Luminor-Daylight-Chronograph-Black-Dial-Original-Version-(Discontinued)-18841.aspx#moreimages