When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cased two more (Cortebert and Angelus)

l3x

I like to share two more that I just completed. My intention was not to duplicate the gen vintage but just to have some fun :D

The first has a cortebert 616 motor. Fiddy case with sapphire and ross dial. I always seem to mess up luming the hands :( Need to be more careful next time.

The second has an angelus motor. My dream is a Angelus VDB but sadly I can't afford one :( So my only option is to try to make my own.

I got the movement from a member. Paid a fair amount for it. But also had to spend additional dollars to fix broken parts and to have it serviced and cleaned.

After gathering all the parts...when it came time to the actual assembly...making everything fit was a nightmare. Especially that wheel you see on the dial. I was unsuccessful at removing it myself and my watch man didn't seem interested in taking it out for me.

I was very close to giving up. That wheel prevented the stem hole in the case and the movement to line up :mad: After spending the money and time in getting the parts I was very determined to get this to work. So instead of modifying the movement to work with the dial I decided to modify the dial to work with the movement. :)

I know she's not the prettiest Angelus...but to me she represents what this hobby is all about.

On to the pics...

combo.jpg

I ran out of lume...pls excuse...

combo_lume.jpg

combo_movement.jpg

angy.jpg

angy_lume.jpg

angy_movement.jpg

angy1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Thanks guys. I really like the sapphire/fiddy case. Very similar to my MM20 but with a cooler movement :)

As for the lume, I ran out and didn't have enough lume to thoroughly cover the areas of the two dials. I wonder if that's how a vintage lume will really age.

Congratulations for your efforts , great work . Let me a suggestion : if the Angelus would be mine I would paint in black all the parts that come out from the holes

Regards

Thanks 217. That's a great idea with painting it black. I may try that the next time I have it uncased.

I disagree - its guts are poking out slightly, and no amount of painting black will really hide that fact so just leave it be, gives it a certain je ne c'est quoi

I would however try to tidy up the slightly ratty edges on the dial where you've had to open her up - there I think some black paint could come in useful to hide the glint of bare brass/metal.

I disagree - its guts are poking out slightly, and no amount of painting black will really hide that fact so just leave it be, gives it a certain je ne c'est quoi

I would however try to tidy up the slightly ratty edges on the dial where you've had to open her up - there I think some black paint could come in useful to hide the glint of bare brass/metal.

Thnx. Great ideas. I might just leave it the way it is and move on to the next project. My goal was to get this cased so I'd get some use out of it. And I think I accomplished that.

I've had it on now for a few days and I'm happy with the look and the movement is running strong. This was made for me by me and I guess it is what it is. :)

FGD, I had 10 cases laying around all from different people. Out of these, I was lucky to find just one that fit :blink:

The main difference with this case set is the really thick (and roomy) case back. The fitting of the Angelus to this case is perfect...at least in terms of depth.

Another thing with this case is none of the other casebacks fit this case. It had an E-series Panerai lettering on the back but I dremelled all the letters off. I considered myself lucky to have this case...else I'd still be looking.

I'm not sure where the case set came from. It's an old beatup case I picked up in the sales forum.

It truely is a one-of-a-kind dial, off topic a bit but worth discussion. Even more complicated than a black paint, it was molded plexi. The transparent plexi was placed over the surface to contain the radium but had to be held by the two rivets you see on the front. Interesting dial and thanks for sharing. :thumbsupsmileyanim: