When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Project ~ From 217 To Vintage Pam ~ Update!

Bignasty

So I got an incredible deal on a 217 lefty that needed a bit of repair. The asian unitas copy movement needed some tweeking, which I did, so I've decided to proceed with a vintage project (I've had the craving for a vintage PAM for some time now!) And afterall I already own a fiddy, so I don't need two modern 47mm's! My fiddy still awaits supplies from Davidsen including a new dial (because I gunked the OEM one up :( ). So I robbed the old dial from my fiddy and proceeded with the mods.

So far this is what I've gotten done with a bit of tinkering just this afternoon.

Polished the case

Ground off the Trademark engravings from crown guard

Aged the dial (which I am extremely happy with the outcome :thumbsupsmileyanim: )

Aged the hands

Its getting close but I've just ordered a plain non-display caseback with no engravings from Davidsen that will take a couple of weeks to arrive. Until then once everything else is complete I'll probably sport it with the display back! :Jumpy:

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for looking and any comments/creative criticism are, as always, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon :victory:

104891-25317.jpg

104891-25318.jpg

104891-25319.jpg

Edited by Bignasty

Thanks for that - it's only my second attempt but I found a whole load of photos of Vintage PAM's that I have been studying very closely. As a dental technician I have a lot of tools/materials at my disposal including a laser welding machine and polishing machines etc and am used to working with metals and plastics so I am very lucky.

Good luck with this as I think you have done a great job - and the best part is that it's a whole lot of fun doing it - even if they don't turn out right!!

Jon. It looks gppd. I thought about doing a similar project. I wasn't sure how the cg would turn out after grinding off the 'reg. t.m.' - I was concerned that it would be visibly too short in thickness. But, it looks fine, based on your pics.

Actually the CG has been flipped. The modded side faces down now. I'll post more pics when I get better light and the caseback is installed.

Cheers,

The dial looks great, overall a very nice project. There is something about the hands that I'm not into, however, very nice overall...

The vintage hands were a bit different. I decided to use these because I had them around the house. Trust me this was a very low budget project!

Cheers,

Jon

Will let you into a little secret - One of the things about these vintage dials is that the numbers were filled with a clear resin that then turns yellow/orange with age. They were like this because the dial really was a lid of a container of lume and so needed to be completely sealed.

I have been experimenting recently and have found a way to re-create that resin that is tinted yellow but remains glass clear so it allows the lume to shine through perfectly. The only thing I have not been able to do is reproduce the cracks but hey!! I hope to be able to show you guys soon but just waiting for the dial to come back from the printers. Meanwhile I have done extensive work on the Radiomir 3646 case - re-shaping it and welding proper stainless steel strap bars to it (the rep bars are not SS and are glued in place) and have relocated the crown so that it is flush with the case rather than the tube sticking out!!! And the crystal is the finishing touch - the 3646 had a very shallow domed crystal nothing like the 6152 type. Also I will be having the strap sewn to the case - I hope to show you this very soon.

Will let you into a little secret - One of the things about these vintage dials is that the numbers were filled with a clear resin that then turns yellow/orange with age. They were like this because the dial really was a lid of a container of lume and so needed to be completely sealed.

I have been experimenting recently and have found a way to re-create that resin that is tinted yellow but remains glass clear so it allows the lume to shine through perfectly. The only thing I have not been able to do is reproduce the cracks but hey!! I hope to be able to show you guys soon but just waiting for the dial to come back from the printers. Meanwhile I have done extensive work on the Radiomir 3646 case - re-shaping it and welding proper stainless steel strap bars to it (the rep bars are not SS and are glued in place) and have relocated the crown so that it is flush with the case rather than the tube sticking out!!! And the crystal is the finishing touch - the 3646 had a very shallow domed crystal nothing like the 6152 type. Also I will be having the strap sewn to the case - I hope to show you this very soon.

This is my first attempt at a vintage PAM. I like the look but sounds like you really know your stuff. Can't wait to see some of your projects!

Cheers,

I've red this topic again and again.

Very interesting is it possible to make the case also old?

If you look at the pics of the gens I posted you will see tha the cases are far from old looking. I have photos of about a dozen or more gens and all have very good condition cases (apart from maybe one or two). I have decided to leave my cases in good pristine condition.

@ BigNasty...

I like your attempt of building a vintage Panny, here are my thoughts on your shown watch:

1) the dial is very nice, good old patina to the numbers and the black color is faded too.....as finepics mentioned, the numbers should be filled with a clear varnish ...... if you want to do that in a low budget style, get the dial out again, seperate the cutoutdial and the lumi-plate, apply a bit of clear varnish (the gals use for their fingernails :) ), over the luminous numbers and markers, wait some minutes (not too long cause this varnish drys fast) and but both dial parts back together, DONE!

2) the hands are a mixture of vintage and new.....not my cup of tea, I would sandpaper the shiny gold color down to a nice brushed surface, when doing that with very sandpaper the luminova will also get a bit older (ok, yours is old enough).

3) unfortunately your dial enscription Marina Militare has gone......, next time try to just get rid of the PANERAI or using the fiddy dial....get rid of the 1950, also the little markers from the small seconds are missing, but you can engrave those markers with a dremel and fill them with white color.

4) the crystal looks like mineral......try to get a plexi or plastic glas to install

5) the solid screwed caseback will be a very nice addition and upgrades your watch by 50% (I exchanged all my see-through backs by solid ones, except for an watch with an old Cortebert that looks nice).

6) if you have any chance....try to get push-pins for the strap lugs....in the 1950ies Panerai did not use screw type but kind of push-through pins (some guy on the BWF offers thick push-pins in 26mm!).

7) if you really want to improve the look of your watch you need to get another dial......the modern numbers are way smaller than the old ones.....Davidsen carries those RXW-MM20 dials with orange vintage lume in BAse style.....get rid of the small seconds from the movement (grind it down).....than you´ll have a wonderfull Marina Militare Destro

..and btw...I have the above mentioned project on my table right now, waiting for some Davidsen parts to build a wonderful MM Destro ;)

Cheers and don´t forget....TGWHD (ThanksGodWeHaveDavidsen)

Theo