When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guide on hand removal and installation?

JohnDorian

Saw some of Francesco's articles but I was wondering if there was a more definitive full guide?

Mostly I'm concerned about what time position should the hands be removed in and how do you install them back in? Just note what time position they were in?

Thanks.

On movements without a date, it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

It is clever to pull the hands off with the hour pointing at an hour and the minute on 12, doesn't really matter, but it is how I do it.

When re installing set the hour hand anywhere on the pinion. Now advance it until the date clicks over,

Now set it to 12.

Now advance it a few hours, (I normally run it to 9.) With the hour hand directly on 9 now fit the minute hand @12. Now your hands are all in the correct position and date changes @12.

Now fit second hand (doesn't matter where.)

To fit hands, I use the sticky section of a post it note, to pick up the hand from the underside with the hole or pin sticking out over the edge. This gives a very stable rest to get them into position. ( This technique is detailed somewhere within the archives here....worth the search as it has pictures etc) That how-to is a few years back now.

Hope this helps.

O/S

• Like 1

Basically-Yes.

Be very sure the day/date change has completed its cycle.

Some movements have an instant change at 12, others can start to change at around 9 and take until 3 or after to complete the total change.

Also always a good idea to advance the hands forwards (clockwise) Cycling backwards can sometimes also do some damage.

It is really about knowing the intricacies of each specific movement, and we all are still learning all the time!

O/S

• Like 1

Any recommendations on tool sets to get from ebay or other sources?

Here's some advice from someone who has pulled quite a few hands...and messed up several by using the wrong tool, or a poorly made tool.

Considering the ease with which hands can be damaged, as well as the difficulty in sourcing replacement hands, I suggest the use of Bergeon original hand tools. If you can only afford one tool, I think it should be the Presto #6 (the tips are smaller and thinner than the more common Presto #1, and it can fit into more places). If you can splurge for a second tool, I suggest the Bergeon 6016. This is a very fine, fork type lever, which is invaluable in working with small chrono hands (when nothing else will fit under them).

So the bergeon clone looking tools on ebay are no good?

Those seem to cost as much as sending it down to a pro and getting it done... I guess this is the moment of truth. Is this an addiction or a passing interest~!

That's what I started with...And I've successfully changed many hands with a Presto knockoff. Unfortunately, I've also screwed up several with the same tool.

The problem with the knockoffs is that the blades can be thick, rounded, or rough. If you're willing to spend a little time sharpening and polishing the tips, then you can turn them into serviceable tools. If you're only changing a few hands, and they are well spaced, then it might be the only tool that you need.

Remember to protect the dial.

I now use Rodico instead of the post-it, but the principle is the same.

[/quote

I use rodico also on a bit of pegwood,

When removing, i do it the same as fracisco, a thin sheet of clear polyphene and a set of bergeon hand removers, I have tried the 2 lever types of removers and prefer the pincer type tools, this method keeps all the hands together, protectsd the dial and the hands from tool marks.

On a date movement i advance the movement to the point where the date has just changed and then fit the hour hand to 12 and then the min hand to 12 also that way i can see if they are paralel, then rotate the hands full circle clock wise to make sure they dont catch

Wen fitting a chrono centre seconds hand i use a blob of rodico over the 12 marker the hold the tip over 12 while i line up with the pinion and then fit it. This tip i got from my tutor at the BxI and made the task a lot easier

Hi,

i am always having problems putting back the hands

onto my GMT.

Putting the GMT Hand right onto an hour marker first of all ( same perparation as above mentioned)

i experience it not to stay exact there, when i start

to set the GMT Hand with the crown...

If once the crown is turned , the hand jumps exactly one hour,

but never from the start :-(

Any hints ?

Andr

• 2 weeks later...

May not be dial clamps, could be dial feet- see this-

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSchool/WS%2012%20How%20to%20remove%20and%20replace%20hands%20and%20dial/WS%2012%20How%20to%20remove%20and%20replace%20hands.htm

Or could be dial feet just pressed fit- ie, you can lever the movement off, although this is not common with mechanicals, normally associated with quartz.

The PMWF forum is worth a visit, Lot of good tute's there.

Offshore

So i was able to pop the hands off on a 7750. How do I get the dial off? I don't see the clamps?

It's really difficult to explain in words. I'll try to explain in pictures:

dial-clamps-rough.jpg

You need to get the sickle-shaped clamp to turn out. A tiny screwdriver in the lug at its tip is how I do it. YMMV.

(thanks to a marker pen, a pad and PhotoBooth on a MacBook, I didn't even need to leave my comfy seat to do that)