When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO pearl woes

arniezac

Everything about my UPO is brilliant, it really is a great looking watch. I am however, a bit disapointed with the pearl.

post-20876-125000042268_thumb.jpgpost-20876-125000044009_thumb.jpg

The hole that has been put in the insert is so big that I have been able to remove the pearl through the front!

post-20876-12500004595_thumb.jpg

I thought about swapping a pearl over from a bond seamaster that i have and have tried it in situe to see what it looked like.

post-20876-125000048436_thumb.jpgpost-20876-125000051309_thumb.jpg

Whilst it has closed the gap up in the insert it looks huge and although it would sit half as low down once I press it home I really think that this mod is a waste of time.

I even thought of buying a gen bezel until I found out you can't drop one on a UPO. :(

The only other thing I can think of is to get a new insert off the bay which would cost me about £30 and I still would n't know if I was going to recieve a decent looking one.

I'm sure some of you have had this problem and would be extremely grateful to here about your solutions.

Many Thanks for listening. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Arniezac

Its crazt isnt it...

I mean they must`ve spent a while getting it to look pretty much like a gen upo only to [censored] everything up with a pearl that really doesn`t cut the mustard.

I would`ve thought that would be the easiest thing to replicate.....seems not!!!

There is an ebay seller who sells 45.5mm PO bezel inserts. They fit the gen PO and have to be modified to fit the gen bezel, but it might be worth trying........

The pearl looks better than the rep pearl IMO from the picture, but I have not bought one of those myself.

PO bezel on eBay

There is an ebay seller who sells 45.5mm PO bezel inserts. They fit the gen PO and have to be modified to fit the gen bezel, but it might be worth trying........

The pearl looks better than the rep pearl IMO from the picture, but I have not bought one of those myself.

PO bezel on eBay

That pearl looks to blobby. I'd contact Josh and have him send you an insert for the UPO.

Crikey...just for the record i didnt swear in the post above!!

Only used the descriptive word for a male hen...James May uses it all the time... :D

If James May says it, then its ok by me,Wedding Vegetables is another good'un.

PO bezel on eBay

Thanks for that. There the ones I saw

That pearl looks to blobby. I'd contact Josh and have him send you an insert for the UPO.

Cheers Andreww. Josh, am I right in saying that he is PerfectClones?

Well, I took Mingray up on his offer of a bezel to replace mine and thought I'd share a few pics.

Removed the old bezel and pearl

post-20876-125028604426_thumb.jpg

Chamfered the back of the insert (outside only) to clear rad in bezel rebate

post-20876-125028606013_thumb.jpg

Positioned new bezel and taped secure

post-20876-125028514615_thumb.jpg

folded the insert back, dab of glue on my pearl, dropped in and replaced insert . Pearl is now secured in final positon.

Put double-sided tape on insertpost-20876-125028515747_thumb.jpg

Pealed off backing dropped the insert over the pearl which automatically aligns it true and there you have it

post-20876-125028517341_thumb.jpgpost-20876-125028518704_thumb.jpgpost-20876-125028520297_thumb.jpgpost-20876-125028521373_thumb.jpg

Much better than the origional insert I'm sure you'll agree.

Sorry about poor pics as I took them on my phone.

Hey arniezac -

How did you remove the insert?

D

Using a small screwdriver I went in through the pearl hole and levered it up a bit, which then allowed me to rip the thing off. Its stuck with a type of double-sided tape. Doing it this way is always going to destroy the insert though. The usual way if you want to save the insert is to go in through the back, de-case the movt, remove the crystal which allows you to get a thin blade underneath the insert. Being aluminium/aluminum it is so easy to bend it out of shape .