When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss Foundations and Federations Against Watch Piracy Miss The Point

Oyster

This is not a re-post but rather the opinion of Ariel Adams - aBlogtoRead.com

sihh-piracy-campaign-poster.jpg

First, see the official statement/announcement that has recently been released, then read my comments below it:

"The Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie and the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry are joining forces to launch an international anti-counterfeiting campaign. Their objective is to inform the public on the damage caused by this global scourge.

In spite of the many efforts made, the problem of counterfeiting and piracy continues to wreak havoc on virtually every economy worldwide, and is expanding rapidly through multiple distribution channels, especially online.

Astronomical amounts

Calculations based on Customs seizures show that counterfeits and piracy worldwide amount to US$ 200 billion to 360 billion a year, or 5% to 7% of international trade. Swiss watches are no exception, as the sector is hit full-on by this modern-day plague.

The Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry (FHS) estimates that over 40 million fake Swiss watches are made each year (compared with exports of almost 26 million authentic Swiss watches in 2007) and that they generate net profits of around one billion dollars. This illicit trade, whose main victims are the most prestigious Swiss brands, is equivalent to around 6% of total Swiss watch exports for 2007.

Everyone suffers

In this context, it would be na

Astronomical amounts

Swiss watches are sold at hyper-inflated prices to people who, while able to afford the price tag, are still paying more than they need be. Who are the real thieves here...?

Everyone suffers

As Swiss watches can create feelings of elitism and superiority in those who can afford the hyper-inflated price tags, and think that said price tag makes them a better person... Not owning a Swiss watch can create feelings of inadequacy in those unable to afford the hyper-inflated price tags, but who come into contact with those who can...

Counterfeiters provide employment to people. Employment provides an economy, enables a worker to pay for a roof over their head and food for their table... Such counterfeit watches are sold at prices more reflective of the actual value of the items, so could be considered as Fair Trade watches...

A powerful message

Consumerism and brand-name worship = FTL. Look what happened when Moses came back to find people worshipping the golden cow... The Almighty was displeased.

We can no longer stand by and do nothing, so let’s say it out loud: “FAKE WATCHES ARE FOR FAKE PEOPLE!”

Wrong: Overpriced Swiss watches are for fake people, who feel they need the trappings of wealth to validate themselves. Fake watches are for people who wish to be able to tell the time and have a fine-looking time-piece, but not have to pay a ludicrous price tag for the privilege...

Lets get a few things straight, the watch industry is mostly the luxury industry. Meaning that the items are mostly expensive and well made. The fake watch industry is the complete opposite, as the items are typically cheap and ill-made. Are these two really serving the same market? The bottom line is that there is no real proof that the fake watch industry really hurts the luxury watch industry. The same people who are buying fakes watches are not the people who can even afford the real ones. Thus, you are really not taking away from the luxury market. If anything, fake watches only enhance the desire for the real, quality authentic watches that faces cannot truly replicate. And if the fakes can replicate them easily, then they aren't luxury watches worth their high price.

Ah, but there is one scenario where fake watches are a problem, and I honestly don't know how much of a problem it really is. This is when a person buys a fake watch thinking it is a real watch.

Boo hoo, so someone got rolled for a chump... I'm sure it happens to countless tourists the world over on a daily basis... Buyer beware!

So then, why are the brands so up in arms about fake watches?

Moral indignation...

Oh, and I know a lot of fake people that wear real watches. I'll leave the topic open for discussion and I don't need to go into a long essay on my continued thoughts. Finally, the "instructions" on the ad rub me the wrong way. Triggers the "don't tell me what to do" segment of my brain. "Be authentic. Buy real?" Get real... Isn't the luxury watch industry kinda intrinsically connected to the fashion industry. That industry that is notorious for sprouting "fake" people. I mean come on... the ad itself even features a mannequin hand! Go make a nice watch and leave me to trying to afford it.

And at the end, they finally seem to get it :D

One reason for them taking action may be US (perhaps others) copyright and trademark laws. There is a principle in American trademark and copyright law that, in a nutshell, mandates that a copyright owner must defend their copyrights and trademarks whenever they think they are infringed, or they lose their legal protections.

So they find that legally, they must do something. They then fall into the trap of the Politician's Syllogism (From "Yes, Prime Minister").

We must do something.

This is something.

Therefore, we must do this.

The same people who are buying fakes watches are not the people who can even afford the real ones.

I disagree with this statement. I own gens and reps, my favorite watch is my gen Omega PO and it is the watch that gets the least amount of wrist time. I think the reason for this is that it cost so much I don