When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG Live Chat

hexagram

Would it interest anyone if there was a live chat for RWG members to discuss anything (from watches to off-topic discussion)?

I have experience in setting up IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channels and bots, and I would be more than happy to set one up, so that we can chat with eachother in real-time (I could even set up a help bot to assist first-timers with information about reps and such)

Just say the word and I'll set it up. :)

Edited by hexagram

As I've said in the shoutbox, the problem with live chat is it kills the forum activity really. Sure the activity is good on the chat room but otherwise isnt great..

Have experience of this when I managed a popular forum of my own once.

Given the nature of the hobby and the content which seems to be mostly picture centric, I don't see chat as a more effective means of communication for us, thats what the shoutbox is for I guess!

Just my opinion though..

As I've said in the shoutbox, the problem with live chat is it kills the forum activity really. Sure the activity is good on the chat room but otherwise isnt great..

Have experience of this when I managed a popular forum of my own once.

Given the nature of the hobby and the content which seems to be mostly picture centric, I don't see chat as a more effective means of communication for us, thats what the shoutbox is for I guess!

Just my opinion though..

... and as I've replied in the shoutbox, I believe it would compliment the forum. There are 21,260+ members on this forum, I highly doubt that everyone would start flocking to the chat room instead of coming here. As you've said, the content is mostly photo centric (and centered towards reviews of watch collectors), that's something that can't be achieved in a chat room. I see the chat room as a good place to talk about whatever is on your mind (whether it's about watches or not) in real-time.

P.S., If I do set this up, the administrators of this forum would have full control of the chat room.

Just waiting for approval before making this public (I already have the channel set up, bots pending approval).

Seems like you've already made it public before getting approval .... you seem to have everything set up before gettig the so call approval.. :rolleyes:

if it is taken seriously I'm sure the Admin team is more than capable of setting it up..

I would not second gues the Admin Team.. until they can review all findings..

just ma 02

L

Basically, we've had this request a few times over the years and we have set up a chat area a couple of times. Unfortunately, it never gets used by anybody. Sure, there is some activity the first couple of days, but after that it slowly dies. So based on previous experience, I'm saying no to this.

Basically, we've had this request a few times over the years and we have set up a chat area a couple of times. Unfortunately, it never gets used by anybody. Sure, there is some activity the first couple of days, but after that it slowly dies. So based on previous experience, I'm saying no to this.

No problem, just thought I would throw the idea out there.

Seems like you've already made it public before getting approval .... you seem to have everything set up before gettig the so call approval.. :rolleyes:

It only takes 5 seconds to "set up a channel" and I never told anyone where to go, so no, I did not make anything public. :rolleyes: