When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I bought a GMTIIc CHS...

smc

I do not know enough about how the GMT hand functions on the CHS version (which I also own, but never disassembled, per Ziggy's comments), but you might have the watch demagnetized. Generally, if a watch is running very fast (+hours/day), the coils of the hairspring are probably stuck together which greatly speeds-up its rotational movement, which, in turn, causes the watch to run very fast. Failing that, the only other thing I can recommend is to pull the stem out to the time-setting position & run it forward through a complete 24-hour cycle. Then, run the hour hand through a complete 24-hour cycle & see if the GMT hand then runs correctly.

Yup, set all hands to midnight and by 8 pm the 24h hand was at 12. Otherwise the watch is running 3 seconds fast.

So the hour hand ran for 20 hours from midnight to the 8 pm position while the GMT hand only traveled 12 hrs to the 12 o'clock position on the bezel is that correct?

If that is the case the GMT hand lost 8 hrs or gained 16 hrs.

I set all the hands to 12 (at midnight) before I went to bed. When I woke up at 6, the 24h hand was at 4 on the dial - 8 on the bezel. By noon, the 24h hand was somewhere around 14-15. By 8pm, the 24h hand was nearing 24(12 on the dial).

The normal hour and minute hands seem to be working correctly.

I set all the hands to 12 (at midnight) before I went to bed. When I woke up at 6, the 24h hand was at 4 on the dial - 8 on the bezel. By noon, the 24h hand was somewhere around 14-15. By 8pm, the 24h hand was nearing 24(12 on the dial).

The normal hour and minute hands seem to be working correctly.

Try this set them at all hands at 12 pm then put the crown back in after its start running then pull the crown all the way out and forward the time for about two days that is what I did to one of my gmt omegas and afterwards started keeping track as normal. I do not know if it will work with the one you have because the handstack is different on the omega I think.