When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep prices - what are we paying for?

kramerica2

Who has "put down" Seiko in this thread?

No one.

I'd go so far as to say Seiko has had its props in this thread. Of all the genuine watches I'd like, a Seiko spring drive is near the top of my list and I've said so quite often. I own two Seiko automatics and they are in regular rotation.

Seiko has its fans on this forum.

I'd go so far as to say Seiko has had its props in this thread. Of all the genuine watches I'd like, a Seiko spring drive is near the top of my list and I've said so quite often. I own two Seiko automatics and they are in regular rotation.

Seiko has its fans on this forum.

+1

Seiko in fact, has MANY fans on here...

+1

Seiko in fact, has MANY fans on here...

If one of those Seiko fans is interested in one of those numbered Seiko titanium diving watches they made (in 2005 I think), I have one new in the box that I'll never wear. It was supposed to be a real collectors edition, and I bought it in a weak moment.

http://www.watches88.com/pd_seiko_titanium_divers.cfm

That's the watch.

Bill

Unfortunately, one of the BIG misconceptions about Seiko is in the US and possibly to an extent the EU is that Seiko is a cheap watch.

Seiko's high end brands are of the same calibre if not better then the likes of Rolex. Yet unlike Rolex who openly sell the high end everywhere and the sister brand everywhere (Tudor), Seiko went the other route. They saw an opportunity to enter the fray as a value low-mid lever product which took the entire watch community by storm. They are extremely influential in the ability to purchase Swiss made watches at reasonable prices today. Yet, to most outside the Pacific Rim none have heard of the Grand Seiko lines. Trully masterful works of art that are sold and viewed in the same light as many of the high-mid swiss brands.

As others have said, it's not that Seiko isn't a good watch, it's that their approach to sales and marketing have made them a less desireable brand for replication. Everywhere that the main rep makers appeal to, Seiko isn't to the level of a Rolex or an Omega or even a Breitling and thus, the value behind development of a seiko rep isn't there. Now, if Seiko had a larger marketing approach to the Grand Seiko line, I'd bet that sitting next to the "Rolex" tab on many dealer websites would be a "Seiko" tab. To someone who is bombarded with the sales and marketing of a main swiss brand, the appeal of paying $200 for a watch that can be bought in a Gen version for $400 isn't there. The appeal is in being able to obtain a rep for $200 that is a replication of a $1500 watch. It's all about the branding at that point.

The same case can be made for people who will spend $40 for a replica gucci purse when the $14 product at Target is of a better quality. It's the name.

As for who's making the money, you'd be surprised at what the "factories" charge for a replica. If I can get a V2 Seadweller with bracelet in China at Lo Hu for $35 from a street vendor who is in turn making a profit, where do you think the rest of the money is going? To the dealer. The same "Cartier Submariner" sold on Eurotimez website for $100 was purchased for $30 from the same street vendor. That extra $70+ goes to the dealer. Not the factory.

Who has "put down" Seiko in this thread?

No one. Everyone has stated that Seiko makes a good watch. Just like Toyota makes a good car.

Toyota can be even better than Mercedes (in some ways), but status wise it's from different planet. Best Seikos can be just as good as Rolex but it's still a no-brainer that these brands are light years apart when it comes to name and prestige.

That's why there are no (serious) reps of Seiko and that's why reps of the prestigious brands sell. And that's why Seiko and reps don't compete against eachother. No reason to get offended. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Who In the hell wants to wear a seiko ?????? Why not?.Im not offended By-Tor, just a simple observation. I did not say anyone In this thread put down Seiko. I had not even read your post until I went back after reading your response. I would have responded ealier but this upgrade Is killing me. But Seikos and other Japanese brands have been .. Well lets just say they have not been given that much respect In many threads, thats all, no big deal.. I do realize that Seiko Is not a upercrust brand. Honestly I do realize this. The crux of my post was to show how the rep makers have uped there game over the years. I do understand that Bmw, MB, dont compete with the likes of toyota, honda or Nissan or several other Japanese brands. People are entitled to feel however they want to on any given brand. I think Seiko and casios are great watches. Just like I think Hondas and Toyotas are great cars. The reason I choose to buy reps most of the time Is because you can not beat the bang for the buck factor. That and I have been really enjoying the whole rep hobby thing. But Im not above buying a seiko or any other non swiss brand. It's been a lot of fun, expensive but fun non the less :rolleyes: Mike